none
MS Project 2010 cut and paste >255 characters in notes column field into MS Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I need to copy and paste notes fields in MS Project 2010 which have more than 255 characters into MS Excel and I want all the text to paste into MS Excel (ie >255 characters). I need to be able to do this for at least a text column and the notes column as I can do a lookup from there. So to recap I need to copy and paste the contents of 2 columns including the notes column into Excel and paste all the text >255 characters. I know how to do this cell by cell however this is not feasible for a large plan on a weekly basis. It sounds so simple if you know how!

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:42 PM

Answers

• SDT4U,

I have a macro that does exactly what you want. I wrote it several years ago and have provided it to users throughout the world. If you would like to get a copy, contact me at the address below. I will ask some questions.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is a letter)

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:19 PM

All replies

• MS Project does not support more than 255 characters in any of the column.

You can not paste characters more than 255 for Text column .

By design column accept only 255 characters. I think you can insert an object into note field which will have entire description.

kirtesh

• Edited by Kirteshtiw Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:37 PM
    Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:59 PM
  • SDT4U,

I have a macro that does exactly what you want. I wrote it several years ago and have provided it to users throughout the world. If you would like to get a copy, contact me at the address below. I will ask some questions.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is a letter)

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:19 PM
  • kirtesh,

Not quite true. Extra text fields in Project are limited to 255 characters, entered or copied, however the Notes field will accept thousands of characters (I never have found the actual limit, although I'm sure one exists). Only 255 characters, or the first line feed, can be copied from the Notes field, but VBA can export the entire Notes field test, except for RTF.

John

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:23 PM
  • John, 

I agree that note field will accept more than 255 characters. May be in my comment i have written "Both" that is confusing. Limit is only for text column.

Some time note field  may give some issues refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/169726

kirtesh

Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:36 PM
  • Thanks John (and Julie) I would really appreciate access to your macro...sorry am not techie enough to contact you via the address given..Looking forward to hearing from you! Thanks
    Friday, December 27, 2013 10:47 AM
  • Hi John, think I've worked out your email address....
    Friday, December 27, 2013 11:07 AM
  • That didn't work! If you would give me access to your macro that would be great as it sounds like it does exactly what I need. Many thanks in advance.
    Friday, December 27, 2013 11:18 AM
  • SDT4U,

There is nothing "techie" about my encoded e-mail. I do it to foil spammers not to frustrate users. Consider, how may "ats" (@) there are in a normal e-mail address and how many "dots" (.) there are. Those are the redundancies. You should be able to figure it out from there.

John

Friday, December 27, 2013 3:59 PM
  • Thanks John! Have sent you an email....
    Friday, December 27, 2013 4:38 PM
  • Hi John,

I tried to send email. it came back as email is not active.

Could you please post your new email address. I am facing exact same issue.

Thanks!

Friday, May 3, 2019 10:42 AM
  • Prabu N,

I closed that e-mail account last year, but you probably won't need my current e-mail as the macro I mentioned is available via this Wiki article:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/32126.ms-project-truncated-project-notes-when-viewingexporting.aspx

However, if you have troubles after reading the article, post back.

John

• Proposed as answer by Prabu N Monday, May 6, 2019 5:00 AM
    Friday, May 3, 2019 2:17 PM
  • Thank you John. It worked.
    Friday, May 3, 2019 2:35 PM
  • Prabu N,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Friday, May 3, 2019 5:01 PM