How do you specify Look In Template for Autotext in Word 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• In Word 2003 you could do this:

Insert | Autotext |Autotext and set the Look in box to a specific template or all active templates.  Once you set the "Look in" selection it would only show the autotext that matched the selected template(s).

I have a user who works in multiple departments and switches back and forth between different templates with autotext.  I've just upgraded her to Word 2010 but I don't know how to show her where to set where her autotext come from.

In Word 2010 there appears to be 2 ways to access Autotext:

1.  Insert  | Quckparts | Autotext - this doesn't give you a way to search for a specific autotext or a way to filter the autotext

2.  Insert | Quickparts | Building Blocks Organizer - this also doesn't appear to give you a way to search for a specific autotext or a way to filter the autotext

So, how do you specify that you only want to see autotext from a specific template?  Also, how do you filter the autotext you see?

Saturday, December 10, 2011 12:08 AM

All replies

• In Word 2010, you can add a gallery (AutoText, Quick Parts, Header, and so on) to the Quick Access Toolbar. In the Building Blocks Organizer dialog box, you can click a column to sort the Building Blocks based on name, gallery, category, or template, which you may find helpful. Creating a custom Building Blocks category may be what you need.

For more on Building Blocks, take a look at http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Building_Blocks_AutoText.htm.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 12:24 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards, 

William Zhou

Forum Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 7:33 AM
  • No, I haven't gotten an answer to my question yet.  I'll repeat the question:

In Word 2010, how do you specify that you only want to see autotext from a specific template? Also, how do you filter the autotext you see?

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Thanks, but this doesn't answer my question:  In Word 2010, how do you specify that you only want to see autotext from a specific template? Also, how do you filter the autotext you see?
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:32 PM
  • "johnr2000" wrote in message news:34e08fa0-c4b1-473a-827a-6ee8d4649fed@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Thanks, but this doesn't answer my question:  In Word 2010, how do you specify that you only want to see autotext from a specific template? Also, how do you filter the autotext you see?

There is no direct equivalence to the user interface that existed in Word 97-2003. I suggested a few workarounds, none of which does exactly what the dialog box did in earlier versions of Word. :-(  Creating your own category or sorting the Building Blocks Organizer dialog box by Template would seem to be closest to what you really want to do.

For more on Building Blocks in Word 2007/2010, see http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Building_Blocks_AutoText.htm.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 6:39 PM
  • Hi, johnr2000

As I have not heard your serval days, if you agree Stefan Blom's suggestion, I will go ahead and close this thread. If you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.  

Best Regards,  

William Zhou

Forum Support

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com 

Friday, December 16, 2011 1:41 AM
  • I'm still waiting for responses.  I cannot believe that Microsoft would not have a way to specify where your autotext would come from.  When I worked at Microsoft we NEVER took away features, we just added on.

I'm sure there must be a way to do this otherwise they really have missed a market niche.

What about transcriptionists who support multiple clients and want to have different autotext templates?  For our transcriptionists they use the same autotext codes and then just switch what template the autotext should come from when they work on dfferent clients.  I find it hard to believe that Word 2010 would not support this when Word 2003 does.

Friday, December 16, 2011 2:17 AM
  • "johnr2000" wrote in message news:b6985bb9-34b3-48d9-b6f6-1f53dd4dbefc@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    I'm still waiting for responses.  I cannot believe that Microsoft would not have a way to specify where your autotext would come from.  When I worked at Microsoft we NEVER took away features, we just added on.

I'm sure there must be a way to do this otherwise they really have missed a market niche.

What about transcriptionists who support multiple clients and want to have different autotext templates?  For our transcriptionists they use the same autotext codes and then just switch what template the autotext should come from when they work on dfferent clients.  I find it hard to believe that Word 2010 would not support this when Word 2003 does.

Of course it is still true that an AutoText (a Building Block) entry can only be retrieved from an open template. In other words, if you store entries in a custom template, these will only be available when you have opened a document based on that template. (In contrast, entries in Normal.dotm or in a template in the Startup folder or in the Document Building Blocks folder are available through-out the Word session.)

Did you read the article I linked to?

Friday, December 16, 2011 12:07 PM
  • Yes, I read the article by Greg Maxey.  So are you hinting at closing or opening the global templates that are open?

I have people (transcriptionists) who are pointing to a specific global template.  This template is open and that's where they get the autotext from.  Now, when they want to use their own Normal autotext or another global template with autotext, how do they do that?  Do they somehow close the global template?

• Edited by johnr2000 Friday, December 16, 2011 10:07 PM more message
    Friday, December 16, 2011 10:02 PM
  • "johnr2000" wrote in message news:5fa10dd3-1af7-44a7-b0c9-54a33059c02d@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Yes, I read the article by Greg Maxey.  So are you hinting at closing or opening the global templates that are open?

I have people (transcriptionists) who are pointing to a specific global template.  This template is open and that's where they get the autotext from.  Now, when they want to use their own Normal autotext or another global template with autotext, how do they do that?  Do they somehow close the global template?

I would use specific templates rather than global ones, but that may not be practical with the transcriptions your colleagues are doing. Assigning keyboard shortcuts to the entries is one possibility.

However, adding custom galleries to the Quick Access Toolbar or ribbon might be the best approach; see if you find http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Buiild_Employ_Custom_BB_Gallery.htm useful.

Saturday, December 17, 2011 6:23 PM
  • Stefan is right in that there is not a way within Office 2010 that is similar to Office 2003 to do what you are asking.

The only additional suggestion, which I could add for you would be to add a tab/button that programmatically on template load/unload populates the buttons with the autotext.

If you would like assistance in writing code like I described above you would need to open a Professional support case.

Please visit the link below to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.

Sincerely, Susan Microsoft Community Support
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 10:27 PM
    Answerer
  • So the answer is that in Word 2010 this cannot be done as it was in Word 2003.  Everything else is just a hack.

But I appreciate all the workarounds people have presented.

(Moderator, please don't mark anything as an answer because there is no resolution to this.  Thanks.)

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 6:41 PM
  • @johnr2000,

OK. Have a nice day.

@Stefan Blom & SusanBu,

I appreciate all your time and effort on the issue.

William Zhou CHN

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 2:50 AM