Simple Volume and Primary Partition RRS feed

• Question

• I got a new Windows 7 laptop. I just changed the primary partitions to Simple Volume of Dynamic type. Is there any way to revert it back? or Will there be any performance issue because of this change?
    Aloysius Jegan
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Friday, December 30, 2011 4:59 AM Move to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Installation, Setup, and Deployment)
    Friday, December 30, 2011 3:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You cannot revert it back rather than wipe.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by AJWin7 Monday, January 23, 2012 3:48 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 8:25 AM
  • You cannot revert from back to a Simple Volume w/out destroying all of your data.  However, the good news is that as long as everything is working fine, should have no issues.  In a laptop with a single drive, there is no advantage to having a Dynamic Volume vs a Simple Volume; however, there is no disadvantage either.  Just press on and enjoy life.  All is good.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:47 AM

All replies

• The only benefit to a dynamic disk is that the volumes can be added to a raid group. In a single drive configuration there will be no difference between a dynamic or basic disk.

To change the disk back click the windows button in the search box type diskpart and hit enter. You will be prompted for admin access unless UAC is turned off.

Type list disk hit enter

Find the disk in question most likely it will be disk 0

Type select disk 0 hit enter

Unless we are converting a different disk then change the disk number to something else.

Lastly

Type convert basic hit enter

you can then close the diskpart window.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Hello Robert,

I've tried the options, but I am getting the following error

Virtual Disk Service error:
    The disk is not empty.

Aloysius Jegan
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 4:41 AM
  • Hi,

You cannot revert it back rather than wipe.

Juke Chou

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 5, 2012 8:25 AM
  • You cannot revert from back to a Simple Volume w/out destroying all of your data.  However, the good news is that as long as everything is working fine, should have no issues.  In a laptop with a single drive, there is no advantage to having a Dynamic Volume vs a Simple Volume; however, there is no disadvantage either.  Just press on and enjoy life.  All is good.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:47 AM
  • I don't know what may be the reason, The laptop was not booting from the next day onwards and lost the data...

No one were able to boot or re-install the windows. Finally replaced the laptop. Now I haven't modify anything.

Thanks for your replies.

Aloysius Jegan
    Monday, January 23, 2012 3:47 PM
  • I need to convert my partition also, because I am trying to install windows 8 on that partition. It will not allow me to install it unless it's a basic partition. :(
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:28 AM
  • Hi Guys,

use this partion manager to convert simple volume to primary partion without loosing data(http://www.partition-tool.com/landing/home-download.htm)

• Proposed as answer by AjayRana Saturday, July 28, 2012 3:42 AM
    Saturday, July 28, 2012 3:41 AM
  • I got a new Windows 7 laptop. I just changed the primary partitions to Simple Volume of Dynamic type. Is there any way to revert it back? or Will there be any performance issue because of this change?
    Aloysius Jegan

There is a way change the hex value by WinHex, you can google this solution. 

Anyhow, there is a software that could do convert dynamic disk to basic without data loss: dynamic disk converter 

Thursday, November 22, 2012 2:03 AM
  •  Has anyone used this "Dynamic disk converter"tool?? if so how credible do you think this tool is?

Apparently i'm facing the same issue! I read previous comments saying its not at all a problem to keep the simple volumes as is! but i tried installing fedora on the same machine as dual boot but unable to choose the unallocated free space for fedora installation

i know i'm talking about a linux distro in microsoft form but the actual problem is, fedora is is taking the simple volume also as freely available and prompts me to erase the volume and take that for fedora.. phew!!

Monday, June 16, 2014 7:22 AM