none
DPM will not perform an inventory on all available slots RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an IBM TS3573 Tape Library. When i perform an inventory, DPM will only run an inventory on the first 3 slots - but shows 19 empty slots.

What may be related is that 2 days ago I ran a script to force the tape in slot 4 to be free (http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/archive/2007/09/04/cli-script-force-mark-tape-as-free.aspx). This script worked but left the line displaying slot 4 in the Libraries tab as wider than the others. Now I have this problem.

Any help you can offer on resetting the library in DPM would be much appreciated,

Cheers.

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Monday, July 19, 2010 6:53 AM Moving to DPM Tape Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Friday, May 21, 2010 1:07 AM

Answers

• Hi Tony,

If you are running a detailed inventory, then DPM will only inventory those slots in which new/different tapes are found. DPM consumes the fast inventory response first and figures out the change in the library configuration from the last known configuration. If it has not changed at all, all detailed inventory jobs will be skipped, else only those which changed will be inventoried.

In the jobs view, can you share the details that you see for the DI job?

Thanks,

Pranay[MSFT] This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Tony,

Is there a cleaning tape in  one of the slots. This could cause issues with some IBM tape library's

http://scdpm.blogspot.com/2009/07/fast-inventory-fails.html

Wednesday, June 2, 2010 2:17 PM
  • Hi Tony,

If you are running a detailed inventory, then DPM will only inventory those slots in which new/different tapes are found. DPM consumes the fast inventory response first and figures out the change in the library configuration from the last known configuration. If it has not changed at all, all detailed inventory jobs will be skipped, else only those which changed will be inventoried.

In the jobs view, can you share the details that you see for the DI job?

Thanks,

Pranay[MSFT] This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties and confers no rights.
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 1:54 PM
  • Closing post - create a new one if you still have this issue.
    Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 6:36 PM