SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 upgrade to SCCM 1606 -->1610 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to upgrade from SCCM 2012 R2 SP1 to SCCM CB 1610 to take advantage of the new features of SCCM and for Windows 10 PDT management reasons we need to upgrade to the anniversary version (1607).

* Infra sccm is the following:

- Headquarters: 1 Primary site Win2012R2 + 2 DP + 1 WSUS (not functional) + 1 dedicated SQL instance in a SQL 2008R2SP1 cluster

- Agencies: 15 DP

I started to look at it and I understood some prerequisites (need of Software Assurance, OS Windows server + SQL must be up to date ...).

On the net, some advocates an upgrade In-Place to sccm 1606 to be able to go on to the 1610.

Other recommends a migration (reinstalls a new sccm (same name as the old one), restore data on this new sccm ...).

Rather, I am considering an upgrade.

I understand that the primary site is being updated. DPs and clients will update automatically.

* My questions :

1- What happens to TS, application packages, reports, catalog of applications ...?

2- Would there be any problems with it?

3- Upgrade MDT, WDS, WSUS... ?

4- In your opinion, how many days would it take to complete a project of this type knowing that I have to document and write a method to follow for future updates?

I was thinking about 1 weekend (2 days) for SCCM upgrade + TS Win7 and 10 tests.

It is also necessary to update the WIM Win10 on the anniversary version 1607.

After the upgrade, it will take some time before all clients are up to date. Is it better to "force" the update of the clients via a script or SCCM or to let the updates happen automatically?

What might be the others problems after the upgrade?

Thank you in advance for the advice and information that will be very useful to me.

• Edited by Tech.info Sunday, March 5, 2017 12:20 AM
    Sunday, March 5, 2017 12:05 AM

Answers

• > "Other recommends a migration"

No, no one would honestly recommend a migration over a simple in-place upgrade unless you had some other mitigating factor like a domain change or you finally came to your sense and want to get rid of your evil CAS. Or at least, if you any did recommend it, you should either fire them or never trust a word they write or say again because it doesn't make sense.

> "will update automatically"

Clients will only upgrade automatically if you enable client auto-upgrade.

> "What happens to TS, application packages, reports, catalog of applications ...?"

Nothing. There's nothing that needs to happen. They'll all continue to work.

> "Would there be any problems with it?"

No. It would be kind of dumb if things all broke if you used the built-in upgrade functionality.

> "Upgrade MDT, WDS, WSUS... ?"

MDT, yes. WDS and WSUS are OS components and can't be individually upgraded -- to upgrade these you need to upgrade the OS.

> "I was thinking about 1 weekend"

That's typically sufficient, for each upgrade. In this case, there are two: one up to 1606 and one up to 1610. You only have to do the clients once though, after 1610 preferably.

> "What might be the others problems after the upgrade?"

There are no explicit issues -- there are always bugs though so make sure you also install the latest hotfixes from the Updates and Servicing node after getting up to 1610.

> "After the upgrade, it will take some time before all clients are up to date. Is it better to "force" the update of the clients via a script or SCCM or to let the updates happen automatically?"

The amount of time it takes is really up to you. There's no reason you couldn't force it to happen in a short time frame. I like using the built-in auto-upgrade functionality with a shorter window of like 2-3 days.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Marked as answer by Tech.info Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:04 AM
    Sunday, March 5, 2017 1:37 AM

All replies

• > "Other recommends a migration"

No, no one would honestly recommend a migration over a simple in-place upgrade unless you had some other mitigating factor like a domain change or you finally came to your sense and want to get rid of your evil CAS. Or at least, if you any did recommend it, you should either fire them or never trust a word they write or say again because it doesn't make sense.

> "will update automatically"

Clients will only upgrade automatically if you enable client auto-upgrade.

> "What happens to TS, application packages, reports, catalog of applications ...?"

Nothing. There's nothing that needs to happen. They'll all continue to work.

> "Would there be any problems with it?"

No. It would be kind of dumb if things all broke if you used the built-in upgrade functionality.

> "Upgrade MDT, WDS, WSUS... ?"

MDT, yes. WDS and WSUS are OS components and can't be individually upgraded -- to upgrade these you need to upgrade the OS.

> "I was thinking about 1 weekend"

That's typically sufficient, for each upgrade. In this case, there are two: one up to 1606 and one up to 1610. You only have to do the clients once though, after 1610 preferably.

> "What might be the others problems after the upgrade?"

There are no explicit issues -- there are always bugs though so make sure you also install the latest hotfixes from the Updates and Servicing node after getting up to 1610.

> "After the upgrade, it will take some time before all clients are up to date. Is it better to "force" the update of the clients via a script or SCCM or to let the updates happen automatically?"

The amount of time it takes is really up to you. There's no reason you couldn't force it to happen in a short time frame. I like using the built-in auto-upgrade functionality with a shorter window of like 2-3 days.

• Marked as answer by Tech.info Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:04 AM
    Sunday, March 5, 2017 1:37 AM
  • Hello Jason, thank you for your answers.

So I have to update MDT and ADK ? :

The Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT), build 8443, is now available on the Microsoft Download Center. This update requires the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows 10, version 1607(adksetup.exe file version 10.1.14393.0).

(https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/msdeployment/2016/11/14/microsoft-deployment-toolkit-8443-now-available/)

• Edited by Tech.info Sunday, March 5, 2017 11:02 PM
    Sunday, March 5, 2017 11:01 PM
  • Correct.

Monday, March 6, 2017 2:54 AM
  • Thank's.
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:04 AM
  • What about your SQL cluster are you planning to upgrade it after changing or upgrading the cluster to latest version of it  ?

I presume that is the only thing which stands in-front of you

Kamala kannan.c| Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” or Vote as Helpful if its helpful for you. |Disclaimer: This posting is provided with no warranties and confers no rights

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 5:08 PM