How to send alert on 2 days before of task due date? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have task list, need to send alert on 2 days before of task due date. How to achieve this scenario? thanks.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:18 PM

Answers

• The easiest way in SPD is to create a workflow that kicks off when the item is added, calculates the day of 2 days before due date, and pauses until that date. Then when it wakes up, check to make sure the task hasn't been completed and send the email.  This is not a perfect solution for a few reasons that you should think about:

What if someone comes in and edits the task and changes the due date (your workflow is pausing until 2 days before the previous due date)

Workflows sometimes continue to run after deletion of the item, so if the task is deleted before the notification, people may get alerts "From beyond the grave". :)

The best way to handle this would be to create a timer job that runs on a daily basis, finds the tasks that have a due date of 2 days from now, and send out the email.  This would ensure that if someone changes a due date, the timer job will not send out an early (or late) notification, unless the due date is 3 days from now, and I go and change it to today after the timer has already run... 

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:23 PM
  • Sam,

I think this can be done using Workflow. I have done this using following article.

http://www.wonderlaura.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=64

I think this would certainly helps you

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:34 PM

All replies

• The easiest way in SPD is to create a workflow that kicks off when the item is added, calculates the day of 2 days before due date, and pauses until that date. Then when it wakes up, check to make sure the task hasn't been completed and send the email.  This is not a perfect solution for a few reasons that you should think about:

What if someone comes in and edits the task and changes the due date (your workflow is pausing until 2 days before the previous due date)

Workflows sometimes continue to run after deletion of the item, so if the task is deleted before the notification, people may get alerts "From beyond the grave". :)

The best way to handle this would be to create a timer job that runs on a daily basis, finds the tasks that have a due date of 2 days from now, and send out the email.  This would ensure that if someone changes a due date, the timer job will not send out an early (or late) notification, unless the due date is 3 days from now, and I go and change it to today after the timer has already run... 

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:23 PM
  • Sam,

I think this can be done using Workflow. I have done this using following article.

http://www.wonderlaura.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=64

I think this would certainly helps you

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:34 PM
  • Hi Sam,

This is contingent very much upon which version of SharePoint that you have. 

1. SharePoint 2003 / SharePoint 2007 don't have very well defined Pause steps, so intricate workarounds are often needed
    2. SharePoint 2010 allows you to use negative values in the pause step (such as -3 days)
    3. SharePoint 2013 has the same functionality available

Can you advise which version you're using?

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 3:09 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi SharePointMC,

Can you please explain your creating timer job suggestion, I am new to this. Thanks.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:15 PM