none
Is the Export Quality for PDFs in Reporting Services 2005 only 96DPI? RRS feed

• Question

• I have been fighting with Reporting Services all day, and despite setting the PDF output quality to 300DPI, I have noticed that the image quality appears to be only 96DPI. I've noticed this because images with a size set for 300DPI are too large for the page, and images set for 96DPI fit just right.

Could someone please tell me if this is a limitation of Reporting Services 2005, or am I just doing something wrong?

I need to know this because I am up against a deadline with this project. I had ran several tests with Reporting Services but had never had assumed there would be problems with image quality.

Is there any other product that offers similar features to Microsoft Reporting Services that you could recommend?

My luck has not been very good with this project, and I'm assuming the response is going to be 96DPI is all that is supported... Sad
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 2:02 AM

Answers

• OK,  I have managed to get higher quality images from the PDF renderer. Here is what I have found:

1) The PDF renderer in Reporting Services 2005 will size all images that it is given at 96 DPI no matter what DPI the image is when you pass it to the renderer. That means that a 300 DPI image or even a 600 DPI image will be sized in the PDF as if it is only 96 DPI. That means your high DPI image will render much larger than you expect.

So you might expect a 300 DPI image that is 6.5 inches wide to render properly at 1950 pixels. Yet, the PDF renderer will size it as it were 96 DPI which would make the image 20.3 inches long!

2) There is good news though. Despite sizing the images as if they were 96 DPI, the PDF renderer appears to render higher DPI images at a higher quality than 96 DPI. So despite the sizing being wrong, the image actually is rendering at a higher quality.

This means that you should size the image to the proper number of inches based on 96 DPI calculations. Then you can use Bitmap.SetResolution to set your images to at least 300 DPI.  That should give you a higher quality image that is the proper number of pixels to fit properly in your report.

I am able to do all of this sizing dynamically because I am using objects as my data sources, but I am sure there are VB functions you could use in the report itself to accomplish the same task.

It is late, and I've been at this project all day long, so forgive me if I have explained anything poorly or gotten any concepts long. Yet, at this late hour, I believe this is what the renderer is doing.

I hope this helps someone else in the future, or at least points them in the right direction.
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 4:22 AM

All replies

• OK,  I have managed to get higher quality images from the PDF renderer. Here is what I have found:

1) The PDF renderer in Reporting Services 2005 will size all images that it is given at 96 DPI no matter what DPI the image is when you pass it to the renderer. That means that a 300 DPI image or even a 600 DPI image will be sized in the PDF as if it is only 96 DPI. That means your high DPI image will render much larger than you expect.

So you might expect a 300 DPI image that is 6.5 inches wide to render properly at 1950 pixels. Yet, the PDF renderer will size it as it were 96 DPI which would make the image 20.3 inches long!

2) There is good news though. Despite sizing the images as if they were 96 DPI, the PDF renderer appears to render higher DPI images at a higher quality than 96 DPI. So despite the sizing being wrong, the image actually is rendering at a higher quality.

This means that you should size the image to the proper number of inches based on 96 DPI calculations. Then you can use Bitmap.SetResolution to set your images to at least 300 DPI.  That should give you a higher quality image that is the proper number of pixels to fit properly in your report.

I am able to do all of this sizing dynamically because I am using objects as my data sources, but I am sure there are VB functions you could use in the report itself to accomplish the same task.

It is late, and I've been at this project all day long, so forgive me if I have explained anything poorly or gotten any concepts long. Yet, at this late hour, I believe this is what the renderer is doing.

I hope this helps someone else in the future, or at least points them in the right direction.
    Sunday, April 20, 2008 4:22 AM
  • Hi

Any chance to know the complete steps used in your resolution to this issue. I have the same and have experience putting in .NET code into the report but not all the rest.

Thanks

Jude

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 5:31 PM
  • This is still an issue in 2019.  Ridiculous.  The instructions here are terrible.

Does anyone have an actual fix for this with proper steps to take??

Friday, November 22, 2019 5:02 PM