Can I get location of my Facebook friends ? RRS feed

• Question

• Can I get location of my Facebook friends ?

I want to list my Facebook friends name and location by Power Query.
    and want to create friends map by Power Map.

"friends_location" field need Facebook Graph API Permition  of Access Token for applcation. 
    https://developers.facebook.com/tools/explorer

Select Permssions / Facebook Graph Explorer

Regards,
    Yoshihiro Kawabata

Friday, October 25, 2013 4:24 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the detailed response. I have logged a bug for this. I don't know of any immediate fix, but hopefully we can get it working in a future release!
    Monday, October 28, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Hi Yoshihiro,

You can sign out from Facebook in Power Query through the "Data Source Settings" dialog and edit the Facebook credentials. However the number of permissions will not change when you sign back in unless there is a product change to request more permissions. This is not currently available but is a part of the improvement we are tracking.

Thanks,

Theresa

Monday, November 4, 2013 6:30 PM

All replies

• I was able to get locations for some of my friends.

1. From Facebook. Username is "me" and Connection is "Friends"
    2. Expand the object_link column
    3. Expand the object_link.location column
    4. Filter the object_link.location.name column to ignore nulls

Facebook isn't showing location for most of my friends though. Maybe it's a privacy setting on their part?

Friday, October 25, 2013 10:04 PM
  • Hello Ben, Thank you for your quick response.

I don't have location column in friends's object_link.
    Facebook friends's object_link

Regards,
    Yoshihiro Kawabata

Saturday, October 26, 2013 1:04 AM
  • Yoshihiro, I chatted with some team members and learned that the Facebook graph doesn't return consistent data to every user. There are a bunch of optional fields that can be turned on or off depending on various privacy settings of your friends. However, if you're able to see something on Facebook.com in your browser then usually you can get to it from the graph API. So if you find a discrepancy there, we can dig deeper to make sure we really are showing everything that the graph API will give us.

Saturday, October 26, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Thank you, Ben.

I find discrepancy between Excel Power Query and Facebook Graph API Explorer.
    There are not location column in Excel Power Query,
    Thare are location column in Facebook Graph API Explorer.

TestData:
    Excel Power Query : Facebook.Graph(https://graph.facebook.com/[username])
    Facebook Graph API Explorer : /[username]
    // [username] replace to real friend's facebook username

Test Image:

Excel Power Query

Facebook Graph API Explorer

Facebook Graph API Explorer - Select Permissions
    Check to friends_location

Regards,
    Yoshihiro Kawabata

Sunday, October 27, 2013 1:53 AM
  • Thanks for the detailed response. I have logged a bug for this. I don't know of any immediate fix, but hopefully we can get it working in a future release!
    Monday, October 28, 2013 4:03 PM
  • Hi Yoshihiro,

Unfortunately it is quite likely the Power Query connector and the Graph API Explorer will return different results due to the static number of permissions Power Query requests when you initially sign in. The Graph API allows users to specify permissions we don't currently support - including the location permissions. 

We are tracking a possible improvement in this area to allow users to additional permissions and view results that are accessible by the Graph API today. Given the same sets of permissions you should be seeing the same results in both tools, please let us know if you're seeing otherwise so we can investigate.

Thanks,

Theresa

Friday, November 1, 2013 3:57 PM
  • Thank yo Theresa.

Can I sign out from Facebook in Excel Power Query ?

if cause is "the static number of permissions Power Query requests when you initially sign in",
    then I want to try sign out from Facebook in Excel Power Query, and add permission for location, and sign in.

Regards,
    Yoshihiro Kawabata

Monday, November 4, 2013 3:35 AM
  • Hi Yoshihiro,

You can sign out from Facebook in Power Query through the "Data Source Settings" dialog and edit the Facebook credentials. However the number of permissions will not change when you sign back in unless there is a product change to request more permissions. This is not currently available but is a part of the improvement we are tracking.

Thanks,

Theresa

Monday, November 4, 2013 6:30 PM
  • Thank you , Theresa, for how to sign out facebook.

Regards,
    Yoshihiro Kawabata

Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:00 AM