Moss disk space on app server RRS feed

• Question

• We have a two server farm in MOSS one is sql and the other one acts as wfe\app server, The disk utilization on the wfe\app server has increased since an year, I have checked log files and they make up very little space in MB.I was wondering what else is been added to the servers C drive apart from the logs.any other data that is created in the backend on c drive in wfe\app server?

Thanks,

D

D

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:49 PM

Answers

• First of all, how large is your system drive, and what version of Windows Server are you using? It's not critical to know, but it would help to have a little context about your setup.

There are a couple of different things that could be causing this. The most likely culprit is your Search index files, these are stored by default on a server's System Drive (the C: drive usually) and can definitely grow in size as you add more content into your SharePoint sites or index other sources outside of SharePoint. For info on changing that setting, I'd recommend taking a look at this blog post: https://nikspatel.wordpress.com/2009/03/05/moving-index-file-locations-on-the-moss-index-and-query-servers/

Another item it could be is patches that you've applied to your SharePoint environment, such as service packs or cumulative updates. These files are installed on the system drive and are often not small in their storage requirements once installed. Or if you've installed language packs, these also have to go on the system drive.

I don't think this is as likely, but you could also have an issue with your IIS logs taking up too much space, you might check that if you're getting a lot of traffic through your SharePoint WFE.

Finally, there are some other possibilities that could be happening, such as various caches associated with SharePoint taking up too much space, but those are more edge cases in my experience, and I wouldn't want to have you chase them down unless you're sure none of the items above are the issue.

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 8:27 PM