I keep getting BSOD when switching users RRS feed

• Question

• I have been running Window 7 RC for a while now and it has been very stable except when switching users.  It usually crashes a short while after switching users.  Today it crashed just after my wife downloaded her email in Windows Live Mail.  I have 6 minidumps so far from switching users.  If either one of us uses it exclusively it will run quite happily for ages, however it isn't always the first time the second user logs in that it crashes,  sometimes it takes a few logins before it crashes.  Neither of us is running many applications.  I had firefox and windows explorer windows open the last time and my wife had windows live mail.

Friday, June 26, 2009 6:42 PM

Answers

• After you identified the driver I couldn't find any updates so I switched off all hardware acceleration and havn't had a BSOD since.  Hopefully it will remain stable now, Luckily I doesn't support aero anyway so the lack of hardware acceleration shouldn't have too much of a detrimental effect.

Thanks for identifying the culprit.

Adrian

• Proposed as answer by Interlider Monday, July 6, 2009 9:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Adrian Heath Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:54 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2009 3:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Adrian,

Can you provide one or more of the minidumps?
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:50 PM
  • I can, where would you like it sent?
    Friday, June 26, 2009 7:04 PM
  • I can be reached at no.compromise shift_2 hotmail dot com.  :-) 

Ideally, you could ZIP the dumps up and password protect the ZIP file, and share the password privately.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 7:25 PM
  • The kernel module ialmdd5.dll (part of the Intel suite of graphics drivers) seems to be at fault.  Consider updating the graphics drivers for your system.  If that does not help, or if you are already running the latest drivers, consider downgrading them. If that still does not help, it seems you will need to wait for the issue to be fixed in a future version of the driver.
    Saturday, June 27, 2009 12:43 PM
  • After you identified the driver I couldn't find any updates so I switched off all hardware acceleration and havn't had a BSOD since.  Hopefully it will remain stable now, Luckily I doesn't support aero anyway so the lack of hardware acceleration shouldn't have too much of a detrimental effect.

Thanks for identifying the culprit.

Adrian

• Proposed as answer by Interlider Monday, July 6, 2009 9:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Adrian Heath Tuesday, July 7, 2009 8:54 AM
    Monday, July 6, 2009 3:23 PM
  • Good to hear you were able to come up with a workable solution that permits you to use the system as you wish, without encountering the problem... :-)
    Monday, July 6, 2009 3:28 PM