a little bit confusing on MinRole - Application with search RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

A simple question, I just only have two SharePoint Server, one is Application with search and run "Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application" service. another is Front end with search; my questions is I still can use NLB for this SharePoint farm right?? because I found I just close the Front end server and keep the application server, It will show

"

502 - Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.

There is a problem with the page you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed. When the Web server (while acting as a gateway or proxy) contacted the upstream content server, it received an invalid response from the content server."

Thanks

Hi there, if you found my comment very helpful then please | Propose as answer | . Thanks and Regards.

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 7:26 AM

All replies

• You mean you can place those two server's in NLB ? if that was your question then yes you can place those two SharePoint server's in NLB.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 1:52 AM
  • I wouldn't use Windows NLB, if that is what you're referring to. It isn't sufficient for any highly available, performant environment -- look to external load balancers (i.e. F5 BigIP, haproxy, etc.).

You shouldn't put the App + Search servers as part of a load balancing set. Yes, you should properly configure IIS bindings/SSL certs, and you can use hosts file to have the search crawlers crawl the local servers rather than your designated FE(s).

Trevor Seward

Office Apps and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2019

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 1:58 AM
  • Hi will.H, 

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

"SharePoint" forums will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A !
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SharePoint" forums' new home on Microsoft Q&A !

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 10:11 AM