none
Windows Image System Manager RRS feed

• Question

• I've got two questions about sysprepping an unattended install for Win2k8 R2.  TIA to anyone who can answer one or both questions!

1.  I've read the definition of each config passes however I'm still confused.  There are config options, such as "...-Windows-International-Core_6.1...neutral",  which can be added to multiple config passes.  If we take a look at the aforementioned config, it can be added either to the specialize or to the oobe pass.  What's the difference?  Why would I added to one or the other?

2.  I see we can configure whether Windows will get its network info from DHCP or not.  Would it be possible to tell Windows to get an IP from DHCP while still being able to statically specify DNS servers through unattend.xml (i.e.: just pretend that no matter what, DNS server can't be served via DHCP)?

Thanks for your help!

Erik

Saturday, June 1, 2013 11:44 PM

All replies

• 1.  Yes, some of the elements can be used in more than one pass and it really depends on what your need for that step is.  A good high-level overview of the passes is available here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749307(v=ws.10).aspx

2.  Yes, I believe you can do them separately.  Since in the full OS GUI you can configure "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" independent of each other, I see no reason to believe you couldn't via Unattend.xml or CustomSettings.ini options.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Sunday, June 2, 2013 6:25 AM
    Answerer
  • While I really do appreciate someone answering my question, unfortunately the answer isn't quite what I was looking for.  To rephrase my question in a more concise manner:

How do I decide which pass to put a config option in if both specialize and oobe are available? 

I had already come across the link you provided.  Here's the description of the specialize pass:

"Creates and applies system-specific information. For example, you can configure network settings, international settings, and domain information."

And the description of the oobe pass:

"Applies settings to Windows before Windows Welcome starts."

So, it sounds like both passes "apply settings".    Why would I chose one instead of the other?

Tuesday, June 4, 2013 4:49 PM
  • from what I understand of your question, you choose the step you need depending on where you should do it manually or when it should happen. There is also the range of the modification: what it will change and for who. For exemple the oobe will be before the login "before Windows Welcome starts" while the specific will be for all users such as the domain the computer joined.
    Tuesday, June 4, 2013 5:42 PM