Windows filename suddenly gets selected again while renaming it RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I'm facing a weird problem with Windows File Explorer. The user (working on Win7 ENT SP1) is trying to rename a file that sits on a network share (Server 2008 R2 ENT).

When clicking the file name twice it gets marked - so far so good. then he starts typing and at some point while typing, the filename gets marked again. As the user is typing, the so far typed characters get overwritten again.

Even though he's using a notebook, I don't see a connection to the touchpad (e.g. accidentally touching it) as this is the same behavior while using the docking station and an external keyboard.

I find several persons in google reporting this issue but so far not solution.

any ideas where this could come from?

could it be part of the issue that the user has approx. 40gigs on this network share which is "made available offline"?

any hint would be appreciated

Tom

Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did it appear any error message when you try to rename this file, such as the file is in using, the action can't be completed.. etc?

Did this issue occur for this specific file or any file?

Please check this file's shared permission. Then try this "Fix it" tool:

Renaming a network folder in Windows 7 Explorer fails with "the action can't be completed..."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2025703

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Karen Hu Friday, February 21, 2014 9:25 AM update
    Friday, February 21, 2014 9:25 AM
  • Hi

there is no error message at all. Let's say he wants to rename a file called MyFileWhichIWantToRename.msg:

he clicks twice on the file so windows selects the name (without the extension). Then the user types the new name (e.g. the new name shall be "MyRenamedFile.msg"). somewhen while typing - let's say the user already typed "MyRena", windows reselects the filename (as if it would start over) and as the user is still typing, he then ends up with "medFile.msg".

As said, this only happens for this user on that server (remaning works fine when he is using files on C:\ or any other network resource). On the other hand, I have 100+ users on that particular server without the problem but only a few of them do have this amount of files - that's why I would suspect something in the direction of synchronization/offline files.

Friday, February 21, 2014 1:07 PM
  • Hi,

I've run into this problem today and was wondering if you ever found a solution? In this case, the user doesn't get to the point of being able to rename in that the entire folder name is reselected before his hand moves from the mouse to the keyboard.

Any update you might have would be appreciated.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:15 PM
  • Hey Chris

No, the problem is still there. As it's a relatively isolated case, we didn't put too much effort in it so far -sorry

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:28 PM
  • Hi Tom,

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it. It's isolated to one specific user here as well, but if I come across a solution I'll post back. Some people are mentioning third party applications that may be touching the folder or file in some way - for instance a backup program or sync operation from a cloud service. Doesn't apply to me, but it might to you.

Cheers,

Chris

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:35 PM
  • try disabling the touchpad from the device manager, check how it goes.

or try to open Notepad, just do some test or typing under notepad.

Check if problem will persists.

if problem persists in notepad, i suspect it's either the built-in keyboard on the touchpad is having some issue.

Please check also that there are no keys on the keyboard that are stuck.

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
    IT Stuff Quick Bytes

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 4:21 AM
  • Even with the touchpad switched off, the problem persists. However it is limited to the explorer only - so notepad or any other applications are working fine. Even in explorer, only the file rename function seems to be impacted. If it would be a stuck key or so, explorer would try to "jump" to that particular area of filenames.

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 8:53 AM
  • have you tried running the system file checker?

if you haven't try, open an elevated command prompt and run:

sfc /scannow

see how it goes. keep us posted.

:)

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
    IT Stuff Quick Bytes

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 9:07 AM