locked
Changing domain password from Vista when it is not a member of the domain RRS feed

  • Question

  • First, I am a consultant and as such, my Vista Business workstation is not a member of a domain as I work with several clients.

    In Windows XP, I would use the Stored User Names and Passwords to update my domain password for different clients.  When I would connect to a server for the first time, I would be prompted for credentials, which I would enter and select the remember my password option which would store those credentials in the Stored User Names and Passwords area.  When my password needed to be changed, I would hit Ctrl - Alt - Delete and select Change Password.  I would then put in my account info, DOMAIN\MyUserName, current password and new password (twice) and the password for the domain account would be changed along with the password stored in Stored User Names and Passwords.  This does not appear to work any more.  I always get a message indicating that my password does not meet the length, complexity or history requirements of the domain when I am ABSOLUTELY certain that it does.

    Should this work?  If so, is there any magic to it?  Right now, I have to clear out my Stored User Names and Passwords every month with some clients because I cannot keep them in sync and would rather not lock my account out.

    Ideas?
    Wednesday, September 5, 2007 2:54 AM

Answers

  • Well, even though there were no responses, I guess I will post what I found so someone else can see this.  It appears that the DC's at the one client site where I usually worked at were not up to date.  I attempted the password change operation while VPN'd in, which is to the COLO site the client has and the DC's there must have been up to date as the password change succeeded.  I do not know what updates were required, but thought this might help someone.

     

    Regards.

     

    Thursday, January 3, 2008 3:18 PM

All replies

  • Well, even though there were no responses, I guess I will post what I found so someone else can see this.  It appears that the DC's at the one client site where I usually worked at were not up to date.  I attempted the password change operation while VPN'd in, which is to the COLO site the client has and the DC's there must have been up to date as the password change succeeded.  I do not know what updates were required, but thought this might help someone.

     

    Regards.

     

    Thursday, January 3, 2008 3:18 PM
  • Try using your FQDN, ie: john.johnson@domain.xxx

    This worked for me.

    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 9:01 PM