none
Onedrive problems

Question

• At our church we get Internet through our local telephone company, and it includes Office 365 with 1 TB storage. It was a struggle to get it set up as the phone company "help" people were not. (I finally figured it out myself.) I now have all 3 our church computers set up. If I try to use the OneDrive app, when I put in our account it comes back and tells me the account does not exist. This is a business account. I have to get there through portal.office.com. Then the OneDrive icon shows up, and tells me everything is up to date.<o:p></o:p>

On 2 computers the folders show up on OneDrive with files in them. On the other one, only the folders show up - no files in the folders. The ones with the files in them do not update, however – I have to manually drag new files over.<o:p></o:p>

I have done the "sync" and if I hover the mouse over the icon it tells me everything is up-to-date. I have the latest version of OneDrive and all updates on all computers, and all are running Windows 10 Professional. I do not have Office 365 set up on any of these, I am just using the cloud storage. I reboot all computers once a week, and then the OneDrive icon does not show up, so I have to go through portal.office.com all over again to start it. (If the computers reboot overnight with updates I have to go to portal.office.com too.) I have the same service at home, and the same problem - only the folders show up. I have either Office 2010 or Office 2013 on all computers, depending on the user's preferences - but like I said, no Office 365 on any of them. My users do not want to upgrade Office - they prefer the user interface of Office 2010 PowerPoint. I managed to get a couple to use Office 2013, but they would prefer I go back to 2010, so going to 365 is not an option. I would like to end up with files in all folders, and a way to update the cloud. I can do this manually once a week if necessary, but I would prefer it to happen automatically.<o:p></o:p>

I am a webmaster for several websites, ran a help desk at a large refinery, and currently supply and maintain the computers and network at our church, as well as several computers of my own and many friend's computers - so I am fairly well acquainted with computers, setup, and networking. I previously had a cloud backup service and had no problems like this with it, but unfortunately they went out of business. <o:p></o:p>

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:29 PM

Answers

• I did as you said. I ended going to safe mode and deleted the files, and the files in the folder. I then tried to sync, it would not work, so I clicked where it said "if this is not working, you may want to download the new sync" or whatever it says. Then I went to use it, and as usual, it told me my account was not valid. I went back to portal.office.com and started to sync again, only to get the same message "if this is nor working, you may want to download...." so I decided it is not worth it. I have done everything according to Microsoft, it simply will not work. From what I can tell, it does not stay in my startup folder either, so I have had enough frustration. I am going back to a cloud backup service which simply works without jumping through hoop after hoop for weeks. Thanks for your suggestions.
    • Marked as answer by scopeguy Friday, December 23, 2016 6:52 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2016 3:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

By default, OneDrive for Business client will sync automatically every 10 minutes if it is started.

So please make sure that OneDrive for Business client is running after you start your computer.

And if some computers only have Office 2010 installed, you need to install OneDrive for Business client separately.
    Please refer to the link below for installation of OneDrive for Business client:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2903984

Best Regards,

Victoria 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, December 22, 2016 12:44 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, but: The computers run for a week before I reboot, with OneDrive running the whole time, all are continuously connected to high speed Internet. 3 of these computers are infrequently used. After all these weeks, they should have "synced" if they were going to. I installed OneDrive for business on all 5 computers when I initially set them up. 4 of the computers have Office 2013, one has 2010. So the Office version does not seem to be the culprit. This is very frustrating, the other online backup system I used did not have this problem. It just worked.
    Thursday, December 22, 2016 2:39 PM
  • Hi,

I recommend to clear all the caches for OneDrive for business and then re-sync the library, after that check if the same issue still occurs.

About clearing the cache:

https://www.poremsky.com/office/clear-onedrive-onedrive-business-cache/

Best Regards,

Victoria

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, December 23, 2016 12:48 PM
  • I did as you said. I ended going to safe mode and deleted the files, and the files in the folder. I then tried to sync, it would not work, so I clicked where it said "if this is not working, you may want to download the new sync" or whatever it says. Then I went to use it, and as usual, it told me my account was not valid. I went back to portal.office.com and started to sync again, only to get the same message "if this is nor working, you may want to download...." so I decided it is not worth it. I have done everything according to Microsoft, it simply will not work. From what I can tell, it does not stay in my startup folder either, so I have had enough frustration. I am going back to a cloud backup service which simply works without jumping through hoop after hoop for weeks. Thanks for your suggestions.
    • Marked as answer by scopeguy Friday, December 23, 2016 6:52 PM
    Friday, December 23, 2016 3:16 PM