none
Windows Backup Failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition

Question

• I'm getting the above error message from Windows Backup. In more detail:

"Windows Backup failed to get an exclusive lock on the EFI system partition (ESP). This may happen if another application is using files on the ESP. Please retry the operation."

Error code 0x8078011E

Well I've retried and get the same thing every time, also tried rebooting, also tried googling the error code but no success.

Any assistance very welcome, thanks !

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 11:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The issue may occur if EFI system partition is locked or other application is using files on the system partition.

I suspect the third party security software protects the system files and causes this issue. Therefore, please disable security software temporarily and perform clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The issue may occur if EFI system partition is locked or other application is using files on the system partition.

I suspect the third party security software protects the system files and causes this issue. Therefore, please disable security software temporarily and perform clean boot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 03, 2013 5:46 AM
  • This is not an answer.  I've read several cases where the admin does a clean boot and while he can back up successfully immediately following the reboot, one hour later the problem reappears.  In my case, it is intermittent.  Will work fine for months and then resurface.  There is 18 TB of free space in the target location on a file server and 10 Gbps of bandwidth between them.  No issues with VSS writers.  Can you provide some answers as to how to determine WHAT has this partition protected?

Respectfully,

John

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 5:10 PM
  • Just found another article which suggested deleting or renaming the WindowsImageBackup folder in the target location and rerunning the backup. After trying every other suggestion, including the one above, as well as moving the shadow copy location to another volume, increasing the space allocated to it, setting it to "no limit" and a myriad of others, this is what actually worked. Not saying the other suggestions aren't valid in some instances, as at least one of them has worked for me on another machine with the same error, but deleting this folder is a suggestion I hadn't previously encountered before so I thought I'd pass it along.
    Thursday, February 25, 2016 12:39 PM
  • I know this thread is over a year old but...

I have the same issue, by looking in the event logs 'Applications and Services --> Microsoft --> Windows --> Backup' and finding the error event (in my case Event ID 5), I looked at the Details tab of the error and under 'ComponentStatus' found that Microsoft Exchange Server was to blame.

I changed the Exchange Maintenance window and the backup window to not overlap and so far so good.

While I know in many cases the above answers will work, if not, try looking in the event log for your backup.

Friday, October 27, 2017 8:07 AM
  • I know this thread is over a year old but...

I have the same issue, by looking in the event logs 'Applications and Services --> Microsoft --> Windows --> Backup' and finding the error event (in my case Event ID 5), I looked at the Details tab of the error and under 'ComponentStatus' found that Microsoft Exchange Server was to blame.

I changed the Exchange Maintenance window and the backup window to not overlap and so far so good.

While I know in many cases the above answers will work, if not, try looking in the event log for your backup.

i have this problem too, how do you change the maintenance window? did you untick the checkbox of 

Enable background database maintenance (24 x 7 ESE scanning)?

Friday, November 10, 2017 3:28 AM