none
Resource Management General Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project using several resources. I've set up the tasks fully except for resource allocation. This project is only used for time management (no cost analysis). 

The resources can work either 25%, 50%, or 100% (of a 8hr day) on the project, so I set this in the resource sheet. The project is setup for 100%=8hr in a day.

I want to assign a task a number of man-hours, say 50days, that it should take to complete. If resourceX [100%] is assigned to the task, the timeline remains the same. If resourceY [50%] is assigned, I want the timeline to show that it will take twice as much time (in number of days) to complete unless two resources that can work 50% are assigned to it (in which case it would return to the base 50 days completion time. 

When I set this up, I plug in the expected time for completion (50 days), but then I assign the task a resource available for 50% of work and the timeline remains the same. It only changes when I modify the resource (say to 25%, in which case the timeline would double).

The final item is that if I state 50-hr completion time (opposed to 50 days), it sets this time over weekends. My overall goal is to set duration to #-hours and if its assigned to a resource with availability = 50%, it would set in the timeline 4-hr per day for that task so I could see how long it'll take to complete.

Let me know if I need to clarify! :P I tried to give sufficient background. --Thanks!

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

the "estimate" is just how Project works. As long as you don't actively modify duration, it is marked as estimated. You can either just live with, remove to check mark on Estimated or change settings in File - Options - Schedule - Scheduling options for this project: Uncheck "New scheduled tasks have estimated duration".

Personally I like it, since it is an indicator, on what tasks I did not pay attention - but I schedule most of the time based on duration, not on work.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

your estimation is based on effort rather than duration. You do also write it - "a number of man-hours". Effort is called Work in Project. So use column Work to enter your estimation before assigning resources and Project will calculate duration as expected (as long as you don't change Task Type to Fixed Duration in Task Information Dialog on Advanced tab before).

Does it work?

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:33 PM
  • Yes thanks that works! The "work" column helps it all. When I modify the resources (which adjusts the task duration), the duration is always an estimate. Is this just how MS Project works? Or is that a setting that I should look into?

Thanks for your help

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:03 PM
  • Hi,

the "estimate" is just how Project works. As long as you don't actively modify duration, it is marked as estimated. You can either just live with, remove to check mark on Estimated or change settings in File - Options - Schedule - Scheduling options for this project: Uncheck "New scheduled tasks have estimated duration".

Personally I like it, since it is an indicator, on what tasks I did not pay attention - but I schedule most of the time based on duration, not on work.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:19 PM