delete missing public folder database RRS feed

• Question

• HI ,

Hoping I can get some help.

I have a new install of Exchange 2010 SP2. Its only a day or so old and I seperated the public folder database along with the mailbox database onto a seperate disk controller. The controller failed and I lost both databases. I had not got to the backup setup as yet.

I am trying without much luck to delete the missing databases from the EMC. So that is delete the missing mailbox database and the public folder database.

I was able to create a new mailbox database and add the users to it again so mail is flowing when I added a new controller and set the disks up again.

When I run the Get-Mailbox -Arbitration -Database "db" | New-MoveRequest -TargetDatabase "db2"  I get a reply of it does not exist. The usual delete commands tell me that it does not exist.

How do I remove these 2 databases in this instance? I cannot get public folder access back without removing the missing database reference....

Much appreciate any help......

Friday, October 12, 2012 6:35 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    What you can do is to rehome the Arbitration Mailboxes (and any other mailboxes you had on the failed DB)
    Example: Get-Mailbox -Arbitration | Set-Mailbox -Database "DB2"

As for the databases...
    Change the DatabasePaths for those and when done and you mount them, new empty databases will be created.

Exampel:
    Move-DatabasePath -Id Public01 -EdbFilePath "S:\Databases\Public01\Public01.edb" -LogFolderPath "T:\Databases\Public01" -ConfigurationOnly

The "trick" above is the parameter -ConfigurationOnly and you should wait a few minutes after you have moved the paths until you mount the DBs so that you are sure that AD-Replication has run.

Move-DatabasePath
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124742.aspx

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by bassjace Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:36 PM
    Friday, October 12, 2012 7:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    What you can do is to rehome the Arbitration Mailboxes (and any other mailboxes you had on the failed DB)
    Example: Get-Mailbox -Arbitration | Set-Mailbox -Database "DB2"

As for the databases...
    Change the DatabasePaths for those and when done and you mount them, new empty databases will be created.

Exampel:
    Move-DatabasePath -Id Public01 -EdbFilePath "S:\Databases\Public01\Public01.edb" -LogFolderPath "T:\Databases\Public01" -ConfigurationOnly

The "trick" above is the parameter -ConfigurationOnly and you should wait a few minutes after you have moved the paths until you mount the DBs so that you are sure that AD-Replication has run.

Move-DatabasePath
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124742.aspx

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by bassjace Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:36 PM
    Friday, October 12, 2012 7:33 AM
  • Martina,

Many thanks for the push in the right direction. I was able to sort it with your suggestions and have a happy system again.

I am new to Exchange and have so far been able to get things moving with the text books and this forum.

All the best from Sydney Australia!

Sunday, October 14, 2012 1:36 PM