none
Sharepoint farm backup with DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. I just upgraded my DPM from 2007 to 2010. Now I would like to backup my Sharepoint 2010 farm. When I try to create the Protection Group, I get an error "DPM cannot protect your Windows SharePoint Services farm until you install agents on the following server: MSSQL.domain.com". This server is the SQL Server 2008 instance of Sharepoint. It's on a cluster of 3 SQL Servers, all protected with another DPM server. When I try to install Agents on the SQL server, I cannot because DPM says that this server is already protected by another DPM. That's true, but what should I do now ?

Pierrot

• Moved by MarcReynolds Friday, November 5, 2010 1:42 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Friday, November 5, 2010 1:33 PM

Answers

• If you did an upgrade of the DPM Server from 2007 to 2010 and the SQL servers in the cluster already had the DPM 2007 agent installed you should be able to do an upgrade of the agent from the Management section of the DPM 2010 console. Any protected servers from DPM 2007 should show up with a status of "Needs updating".

Are the SQL servers showing up in the DPM 2010 console/Management/Agents tab? If they don't show up at all on the DPM 2010 server, check Control Panel\Program\Uninstall a program and see if the DPM agent shows up, if so you can remove it there.

Friday, November 5, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Pierrot,

I went back and re-read your initial thread.

You are in a difficult situation and let me explain.

You can only protect one server with one DPM server at a time.  From reading your initial thread it sounds like you have a SQL cluster that is being protected by a dpm server.  You have stood up a second DPM server and now you want to protect your sharepoint farm with the second DPM server.  Your SharePoint SQL instance is on the same cluster that is being protected by the first DPM server.

In this situation blw23 will never be able to protect the sharepoint farm because it, is already being protected by blw22.

To protect SharePoint with blw23, you will need to move your farm to another SQL instance or keep protecting the SharePoint farm with blw22.

If this is not the case please explain in more detail.

Walt W [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, November 8, 2010 8:09 PM

All replies

• If you did an upgrade of the DPM Server from 2007 to 2010 and the SQL servers in the cluster already had the DPM 2007 agent installed you should be able to do an upgrade of the agent from the Management section of the DPM 2010 console. Any protected servers from DPM 2007 should show up with a status of "Needs updating".

Are the SQL servers showing up in the DPM 2010 console/Management/Agents tab? If they don't show up at all on the DPM 2010 server, check Control Panel\Program\Uninstall a program and see if the DPM agent shows up, if so you can remove it there.

Friday, November 5, 2010 4:09 PM
  • I am with Marc,

It sounds like you are trying to protect SharePoint and the SQL backing the farm.  If this is the case, all you need is to protect the farm.  The WSS Volume Shadow Writer knows how to get the rest of the farm from the sharepoint_config DB.

Walt W [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, November 5, 2010 5:05 PM
  • The SQL Server does not show up at all.  It's a cluster of 3 servers (blw161, blw162 and blw163) having 4 SQL Server instances (MSSQL3,4,5,6), one of them is Sharepoint 2010 (MSSQL5\Sharepoint). The 3 <non-Sharepoint> instances are protected by DPM running or server blw22. I installed DPM on blw23  and I would like to protect Sharepoint with this one because of the space on disks. Upon defining the Protection group, I get the error that the agent should be installed on MSSQL5.<mydomain>.com.   
    Monday, November 8, 2010 6:53 AM
  • Pierrot,

I went back and re-read your initial thread.

You are in a difficult situation and let me explain.

You can only protect one server with one DPM server at a time.  From reading your initial thread it sounds like you have a SQL cluster that is being protected by a dpm server.  You have stood up a second DPM server and now you want to protect your sharepoint farm with the second DPM server.  Your SharePoint SQL instance is on the same cluster that is being protected by the first DPM server.

In this situation blw23 will never be able to protect the sharepoint farm because it, is already being protected by blw22.

To protect SharePoint with blw23, you will need to move your farm to another SQL instance or keep protecting the SharePoint farm with blw22.

If this is not the case please explain in more detail.

Monday, November 8, 2010 8:09 PM
  • Thanks alot Walt, that's exactly the point! What I'm doing (because of disk space) is to move the protection of the complete SQL server cluster to blw23, so the creation of the Sharepoint protection group is done in minutes!

Pierrot

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:36 AM