none
MDT SQL setup

Question

• I have a SQL Server 2014 that is separate from my MDT setup, and on a different server.  I would like to setup the database so that my MDT server automatically names my PCs and joins them to the domain, but using SQL Server Express is proving to be...challenging...at best.  All the instructions I have to do set this up online say to use SQL Server Express.

Is it possible to use SQL Server 2014 to host the database that MDT would use?  It would make my life SIGNIFICANTLY easier if this is the case.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, June 14, 2018 10:55 PM

Answers

• Yes, it is possible. In fact, I worked with a customer where we opted to use an external instance of an SQL server. The only possible challenge is authentication: here is an example of how you can set up a read-only user for DB authentication.

Here is a sample CS.ini configuration:

[MMSettings]
    SQLServer=dbasql2.contoso.local
    Database=MDT
    ;Can be either Named Pipes (DBNDPNTW) or TCP/IP Sockets (DBMSSOCN).
    Netlib=DBMSSOCN
    ;Optional, unless no SQLShare is specified. The user name to connect to the SQL server with using that server's SQL Server Authentication.
    DBID=MDTRO
    ;Optional, unless no SQLShare is specified. The password of the DBID specified
    DBPwd=Pa55w0rd
    ;Optional, unless no DBID/DBPwd is specified. To use Windows Authentication instead of SQL Server Authentication, specify a share on the SQL server to connect to. 
    ;SQLShare=MDT$
    ;Note: Table has to be set to MakeModelIdentity instead of default MakeModelSettings
    Table=MakeModelIdentity
    Parameters=Make, Model
    ParameterCondition=AND
    Instance=dba
    Port=4708

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Edited by Anton Romanyuk Friday, June 15, 2018 9:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Obujuwami Monday, July 16, 2018 6:48 PM
    Friday, June 15, 2018 9:34 AM

All replies

• Yes, it is possible. In fact, I worked with a customer where we opted to use an external instance of an SQL server. The only possible challenge is authentication: here is an example of how you can set up a read-only user for DB authentication.

Here is a sample CS.ini configuration:

[MMSettings]
    SQLServer=dbasql2.contoso.local
    Database=MDT
    ;Can be either Named Pipes (DBNDPNTW) or TCP/IP Sockets (DBMSSOCN).
    Netlib=DBMSSOCN
    ;Optional, unless no SQLShare is specified. The user name to connect to the SQL server with using that server's SQL Server Authentication.
    DBID=MDTRO
    ;Optional, unless no SQLShare is specified. The password of the DBID specified
    DBPwd=Pa55w0rd
    ;Optional, unless no DBID/DBPwd is specified. To use Windows Authentication instead of SQL Server Authentication, specify a share on the SQL server to connect to. 
    ;SQLShare=MDT$
    ;Note: Table has to be set to MakeModelIdentity instead of default MakeModelSettings
    Table=MakeModelIdentity
    Parameters=Make, Model
    ParameterCondition=AND
    Instance=dba
    Port=4708

Cheers,
    Anton

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

• Edited by Anton Romanyuk Friday, June 15, 2018 9:35 AM
    • Marked as answer by Obujuwami Monday, July 16, 2018 6:48 PM
    Friday, June 15, 2018 9:34 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Anton!

Once I ready your response, I started making the database and following the instructions I found here.  So far so good, but I'm confused where I would use your CS.ini file.  Would it go into the PE build or on the MDT properties rules page?  Or maybe even somewhere else on my deployment server.

Please let me know and thanks!

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Obujuwami Friday, June 15, 2018 5:05 PM forgot to link page
    Friday, June 15, 2018 5:04 PM
  • MDT will automatically insert rules into your CS.ini once you set everything up. You still may want to tweak the connection settings (for example should you wish to use TCP/IP instead of named pipes). At least one MDT iteration also used to insert incorrect table name into CS.ini.

Cheers,
    Anton

Friday, June 15, 2018 5:08 PM
  • Anton,

One last question:  When the computers deploy, what column do they look to for a name?  Is it Asset Tag?  If so, I'm gonna kick myself...hard...

Thanks!

Friday, June 15, 2018 10:40 PM