User PC runs slow at remote office location only RRS feed

• Question

• We have a user at a remote office who's PC (WIN7.64bit) performance is drastically slow.  The CPU usage is topped out at 100%.  We ran Process Explorer and nothing stands out.  It takes several minutes to open any application and any files (local and network).  We have several users at this remote office and he is the only user experiencing this issue.  We have sent him 3 different replacement laptops, and each end result is the same.  Slow performance........................  We have jumped on remotely and experienced this poor performance for ourselves.  We had the user resend up the first laptop where the problem originated.  Once we received the laptop the performance was normal, no issues, resent the original laptop and the problem had once again began.  After the third laptop we sent him, we ended up creating a whole new user profile in AD as well as email.  All built from scratch.  With that new profile we loaded it on yet another new laptop and sent that to him.  It worked for about a month, and now the same problem has begun again.  We have taken extraordinary measures to try to fix this and are now running out of ideas as to what could be causing this issue..

Please help...

Friday, August 22, 2014 6:17 PM

All replies

• Alexsandria

You can help your user diagnose what is causing the %100 CPu by having them install (and run) Windows performance recorder ( from the ADK toolkit).  Once installed they run a trace (which can get QUITE large) and you can drill down to find out what is causing the CPU issue.

A short wiki on it is here

If it is a networking issue it may not be able to diagnose in the first trace but you can edit the filters on the second run

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Friday, August 22, 2014 8:52 PM
  • May lose data? I can't restore his PC from here if a corruption happens
    Monday, August 25, 2014 5:03 PM
  • Alexandria

You really cant diagnose it "from here" either.  You do have a backup plan in place right?

Monday, August 25, 2014 6:27 PM
  • The only way to diagnose the PC is "From Here" while it is still "there".  The only time it shows these symptoms is while the PC is at the remote office.  When we had it shipped back to our central office the PC worked fine.  We cannot diagnose it "from here" if there are no symptoms while the PC is here.

Monday, August 25, 2014 8:38 PM
  • Alexsandra

I understood that and perhaps I wasn't clear.  You have to run the tests insitu or the results wont be valid.  The best way would be to put a packet analyzer on the network THERE.

Monday, August 25, 2014 8:58 PM
  • Why put a packet analyzer on the network there, when no other PC/user there is having any issues. 
    Tuesday, August 26, 2014 5:34 PM
  • Alex

Ugh.  I pass.  good luck

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:26 PM
  • Hi  Alexsandria,

A computer with slow performance may be caused by startup services or softwares, to solve this, I suggest a clean boot, A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs:

1.Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.

2.Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter to start the System Configuration utility.

3.On the General tab, click the Selective startup option, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box.

4.On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.

5.Click OK, and then click Restart.

You can also find the detailed steps below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Besides, Since this happens on a remote connection, I also suggest to trace the packet information with Netmonitor, and analyze the 3389 port information,  you can download it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4865

Regards

Wade Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:17 AM
  • Hi Wade,

We have already attempted this with minimal results.  We discovered that after disabling the Bluetooth adapter and the Bluetooth service, the performance got a little better.   However not all the way up to speed.  Also this would not explain why it has happened on three different laptops, they can all have bluetooth problems....

Alex

Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:36 PM
  • Hi  Alex,

Yes, I know it happens on three different laptops, that's why I suggest to use the NetMonitor to trace this, this might be a network issue. Another thing I want to point out is, do you have any other group policy settings on the systems, because, as you described, this happens on one location rather than another one. Also, to avoid the group policy settings on the specific user account, try log on the computer with an administrator account to see the result.

Regards

Wade Liu

Friday, August 29, 2014 8:57 AM
  • All group policy settings are the same across the network at each of our locations.  We have logged on the to computer with the local administrator and the computer ran just fine. 

Thanks, Alex

Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:58 PM
  • Alex,

Since the problem disappeared under an administrator account, you can try the way below to fix a corrupted user account to check the result:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/fix-corrupted-user-profile#1TC=windows-7

Regards

Wade Liu

Monday, September 15, 2014 1:58 AM
  • Wade,

We have already attempted to create an entirely new user profile from scratch in AD.  That is when it worked for about a month, then began acting up again. 

Thanks, Alex

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 3:37 PM