Computer Crashes after SP3 Installed - Display Driver RRS feed

• Question

• 32 Bit XP.  Tried multiple different Radeon video cards.  Updated the drivers and updated Catalyst Control Center.  I have a dual monitor setup.  But now whenever I go to rotate one of the monitors the computer reboots.  Certain other modifications to the display, i.e. changing resolution, causes this to occur as well.  This started as soon as I upgraded to SP3, and it is on multiple systems, all dells, but different models.  Please let me know what other details may be needed, and thank you in advance.
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 2:19 PM

All replies

• F8 and Last Known Good
    IF NOT FIXED

Recovery Console
    chkdsk /p
    My blogs: Henk's blog and Virtuall | Follow Me on: Twitter | View My Profile on: LinkedIn
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:48 PM
  • No luck, but just to reiterate, the computer works fine until you go to make a modification to the display settings.

Old drivers and new drivers, old radeon software and new radeon software = same exact issues.

If it were my machine, I would just reinstall a clean copy of windows, but unfortunately I can not do that in this scenario.

Thanks again.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012 9:06 PM
  • Try http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
    I have had issues in the past with Radeon cards and Driver Sweeper seems to do a good job of removing everything associated with ATI. I understand your pain cause most of the time you end up having to reinstall the OS but driver sweeper has saved me a few times in the past.
    I do not know what graphics card it is but you can try to flash the BIOS of the video card if it is available. I would also try the BIOS for the PC as well.
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 1:36 AM