Task Scheduler - PS 2.0 Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Alright, I've spent a lot of time reading posts about scheduling tasks and how an interactive script works fine while a task scheduler script fails ... this is my issue and question:

I've narrowed down the issue to the substring command.  The rest of the script executes fine, except for this line:

$AllocID = $myRow.Substring(0,3)

My question ... can I import a module into the script to allow this function to work under "system" on Windows 2008 R2 server, PS 2.0 ...

Thanks,
    --- gmsc

Monday, June 9, 2014 1:40 PM

Answers

• Thanks guys ... the Get-Content was the problem.  Trying to run the report from the 3rd party software shell was not working under the "system" security group.  I ended up creating a new user account with job batch priv. and that seemed to resolve it.

I appreciate your time.

---- gmsc

• Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Monday, June 9, 2014 6:39 PM
    Monday, June 9, 2014 6:35 PM

All replies

• What?

SubString() is built in.  Why do you say it won't work.  What is $AllocID?

There is no Task or job scheduling in PowerShell 2.0.

SubString is a method (not a function) on string objects only.  You cannot substring a number.

Note the error and how it cN be "stringified" to work.

PS C:\scripts> $AllocId=12345
    PS C:\scripts> $AllocId.SubString(0,3)
    Method invocation failed because [System.Int32] does not contain a method named 'SubString'.
    At line:1 char:1
    + $AllocId.SubString(0,3)
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MethodNotFound

PS C:\scripts> "$AllocId".SubString(0,3)

Only select objects can be meaningfully stringified.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, June 9, 2014 1:53 PM
  • Thanks for replying ...

In my script I read a text file and I'm using the substring method to assign a string that contains an ID number or a third party application.  This works fine when I open up PS and run it.

However, when I schedule the task (user system) this assignment does not work.  I thought that I might have to import a reference for it to recognize the substring method, however, I'm not really sure what the fully qualified path would be?

---- gmsc

Monday, June 9, 2014 2:20 PM
  • Sorry but you are being way too vague.  I cannot guess at what you are doing.

There is absolutely NO reason for a substring to not work if you are not getting errors first.

I can say that you have an error in your script that is likely causing the object to be null.  This will cause a failure.  It is your script that is wrong and not PowerShell that is in need.

Running under "System" many things will not work as you expect them to.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, June 9, 2014 2:34 PM
  • jrv,

Let me try to explain this better ...  Here is a portion of the script (below):

#Read the allocation listing into an array
    $AllocList = Get-Content $Log_AllocList
    #Read through the allocation listing array
    foreach ($myRow in $AllocList){
       #Debug: Writes to the log if the script makes it here ...
       Add-Content $Log_Activity ("  Debug: Line #50")

#Define the allocation id, consumer, client
        $AllocID = $myRow.Substring(0,3)
        $AllocConsumer = $myRow.Substring(10,10)
        $AllocClient = $myRow.Substring(22,3)

#Debug:  Write the value of $AllocID
        Add-Content $Log_Activity ("Debug: Line #58 " + $AllocID)
    }

Here is a segment of the text file $log_AllocList that I'm trying to read:

ALLOC    CONSUMER     CLIENT       RGROUP       RESOURCE     ALLOCATED ACTI    
    5        /Management* EGO_SERVICE* ManagementH* w51sgpp01    1         1       
    220      /IT_Testing* SD_SDK_/IT_* ManagementH* w51sgpp01    1         1       
    222      /IT_Testing* SSM_/IT_Tes*                                             
    265      /IT_Testing  SD_SDK_/IT_* ManagementH* w52sgpp02    1         1       
    266      /IT_Testing  SSM_/IT_Tes*                                             
    6        /Management* EGO_SERVICE* ManagementH* w51sgpp01    1         1      

When I run the script in the PS command window, I just the expected result (like the output below):

Debug: Line #50
    Debug: Line #58 ALL
    Debug: Line #58 5  
    Debug: Line #58 220
    Debug: Line #58 222
    Debug: Line #58 265
    Debug: Line #58 266
    Debug: Line #58 6

When I run the script in task scheduler, the assignments are not being made so (like the output below):

As only one line it output, I assumed an error so I revise the script to include a try/catch block around the assignment of $AllocID and the error returned is "You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression". 

--- gmsc 

Monday, June 9, 2014 3:34 PM
  • Of course, the error message means that the variable $myRow is null at that point in script execution.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, June 9, 2014 3:41 PM
  • So you have your answer.   The $myRow is null. 

It is likely that something you left out is the cause.

One problem with your methos is that "foreach" enumerates once on a null array.  THis would give you this error.  Perhaps the get-content is failing.

Try{
        if($AllocList=Get-Content .... -EA Stop){
             # results not null
        }else{
            #log null results and quit.
       }
    }
    Catch{
        # write your log and exit.
    }

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, June 9, 2014 3:49 PM
  • Thanks guys ... the Get-Content was the problem.  Trying to run the report from the 3rd party software shell was not working under the "system" security group.  I ended up creating a new user account with job batch priv. and that seemed to resolve it.

I appreciate your time.

---- gmsc

• Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Monday, June 9, 2014 6:39 PM
    Monday, June 9, 2014 6:35 PM
  • As jrv said, information not present in your question was the cause. Glad you figured it out.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, June 9, 2014 6:40 PM