Domain controller per subnet in multisubnet Windows clustering RRS feed

• Question

• I have multisubnet domain. I tried to create a cluster (wsfc) however nodes from other others subnet can't be seen. All nodes are in the same domain with the failover feature already installed. There is only one domain controller setup at the moment and located in one of the subnets. Is it because of this? Should there be a DC in each subnet? Thanks a lot.

Saturday, May 23, 2020 2:57 AM

All replies

• You don't need domain controller in all subnets. 

- Is the other node reachable from first node?

- In Active directory users and computers, find both nodes, in security tab add permissions (full control) for the other node (computer account).

- Restart both nodes

- Make sure Failover cluster services are running

If you find my reply helpful, please “Mark as Answer” and “Vote

Get help on demand > expertise-as-a-service.com

Saturday, May 23, 2020 12:33 PM
  • Hi deep_thinker,

>I tried to create a cluster (wsfc) however nodes from other others subnet can't be seen

We don't need to set up DC on each subnets, however, please ensure different subnets can route with each other, so computers in different subnets can communicate with DC.

We may use ping to test if each node can ping the DC.

If the nodes can ping DC, then join the nodes into the domain firstly, and then create cluster with the nodes.

If there's anything wrong during the setup, please feel free to feedback, and it's recommended to provide related  error message and screenshots.

Thanks for your time!

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 25, 2020 6:25 AM
  • Hi deep_thinker,

I'd like to check if the above reply could be of help? if yes, please mark useful reply as answer, if you have any other concerns or questions, please feel free to feedback.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 6:37 AM
  • @Deep_Thinker

As a few others have said, you do not need a domain controller on both subnets.  However, there must be name resolution throughout both.  When you go through Failover Cluster Manager to create the cluster, it is going to use the FQDN of the nodes to connect (i.e. NODE1.CONTOSO.COM, NODE1.CORP.CONTOSO.COM, etc) and will get this from DNS.

1. Do you have a DNS server on both subnets?

2. If so, is replication occurring between them?

3. If you go into DNS, do you see the names of the nodes and their proper IP Addresses?

4. Forgetting cluster for a moment, can any machine in one subnet connect to any machine in the other?

5. When you say "can't be seen", can you expand on this?  Are you getting an access error?  Is it a not found error?  At what point do you get the error?

Thanks, John Marlin Microsoft Program Manager

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 11:07 PM