Virtualize an application that user can access out of their office. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I hope that you are well!

I have a simple question for you. One of our Customer wants to deploy Windows 7 and of course has some applications compatibility before his migration.

Now, I did work with App-V (MDOP), and I remember that one version of client App-V, I think it's 4.5 create a Q: drive within Windows.

So my question is...the Customer wants to virtualize that application but also he wants that application available to her/his user's when they are not connected to their network (LAN).

Is it possible doing so with App-V...if no which MS Product can help me achieve this!

Best regards to all of you,

Stephane

Thursday, May 30, 2013 2:28 PM

Answers

• Good day Rorymon,

Well I have no error at the moment because I am not at the customer site.

As I say before, I already work with ACT to shim an application, but I did not get that application running on Windows 7 (64bits). With App-V and ConfigMgr I was able to publish that applications to user's desktop.

So for my specific customer, sorry that I can tell what is the error, but I know it's an house build application, and the customer wants to make that specific application work even if a user is not connected to his LAN. Other IT guy try to sequence that application without any result, so I have to found the best solution for the customer.

Thank you very much for your time, I'll keep posting when I will get back from the customer site.

Also, very good writing for the Info on App-V and MED-V, keep the good work

Best regards Rorymon

Stephane

• Marked as answer by Mespo Monday, June 3, 2013 2:11 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 2:54 PM

All replies

• What is the compatibility issue? Are they aware that App-V is not really an application compatibility fix? It can help with some compatibility issues so it really depends on what the issue is. Can you tell us?

App-V version 5.0 no longer has a requirement for a Q:\

App-V can be available offline, you simply pre-cache applications. That way the applications are available offline and do not require to go back to a domain server. Alternatively you could use App-V Standalone. Which never requires to stream from the server.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Thursday, May 30, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Hello Rorymon,

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Actually, the issue is that specific application can't run on Windows 7, but it can on Windows XP. I already use ACT from Microsoft for those specific comptability issue (without any luck).

So I will try firstly with App-V 5.0 and if the result is not there I will try again with ACT, at least you have something else to suggest me.

That specific application need Access 97-2000 and other prerequisite to run

Thanks again for your precious time and have a nice day.

Stephane

Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:15 PM
  • What is the error? How did you try to use ACT? Did you try to create a Shim?

App-V gives you the ability to take deprecated components from XP and include them in your virtual package. This fixes some issues and does not work for everything. You can also pass certain tags, but again that depends on the issue.

If you can tell me what it is you are facing, I can likely help you more.

App-V is not a compatibility fix. Putting the application on Terminal Server running Server 2003 is likely to work. Or using MED-V which is also part of MDOP.

Info:

Application Migration to Windows 7

MED-V

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Thursday, May 30, 2013 6:22 PM
  • Good day Rorymon,

Well I have no error at the moment because I am not at the customer site.

As I say before, I already work with ACT to shim an application, but I did not get that application running on Windows 7 (64bits). With App-V and ConfigMgr I was able to publish that applications to user's desktop.

So for my specific customer, sorry that I can tell what is the error, but I know it's an house build application, and the customer wants to make that specific application work even if a user is not connected to his LAN. Other IT guy try to sequence that application without any result, so I have to found the best solution for the customer.

Thank you very much for your time, I'll keep posting when I will get back from the customer site.

Also, very good writing for the Info on App-V and MED-V, keep the good work

Best regards Rorymon

Stephane

• Marked as answer by Mespo Monday, June 3, 2013 2:11 PM
    Friday, May 31, 2013 2:54 PM