Software installation cannot open Msvcrt.dll RRS feed

• Question

• I've been trying to install some software called ShockLog to download data from an impact recorder I received. Every time I run the installer I get this error "The file 'C:\\Windows\system32\Msvcrt.dll' could not be opened. Please check that your disk is not full and that you have access to the destination directory."

I've relayed this error message to the technical services group of the impact recorder's manufacturer and they told me the error is due to a file not being allowed to copy over and that there is no more help they can provide me. Do you know how to correct this error so I can install the software?

I've had IT service technicians with administrative rights installing the software and still get the error. Another service desk operator ran something from the command prompt to locate any corrupt windows files and replace them. After that was executed the command prompt displayed that there were no corrupt files found.

My computer is running Window 7, 32 bit.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:13 PM

Answers

• Hi MeipoXu

The software was finally installed. The solution for installation was surprisingly simple. One of our IT admins started messing around with the properties of the executable and clicked on the compatibility tab. The executable was set to Windows XP (Service Pack 3). We changed it to Windows 7 and the executable ran just fine.

Thanks for all of your suggestions in trying to solve this issue.

• Marked as answer by Guest123085 Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:15 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:15 AM

All replies

• Take the ownership of the file then try the installation. Also, right click on exe/installable and hit run as admin. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015 10:46 PM
  • I cannot run as an administrator because this is a computer on the corporate network. I need to have a IT technician with admin rights. I've had the technicians come try to install it, they run into that error and then give up and say they is nothing they can do.
    Thursday, August 27, 2015 4:47 PM
  • Did you take the ownership of file ?

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, August 28, 2015 12:46 AM
  • Hi Guest123085,

Just as Arnav Sharma suggested, please navigate to that file, right click it,"Properties", "Security". Verify present account has the privilages to read and execute the file.

We may need an administrator account to do this operation. Or we could try to login with a local administrator account to install the application.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 28, 2015 7:13 AM
  • I gave the files to the IT service technician team lead. He said he took ownership of the file and ran as an administrator and he was had the same problem. He was convinced the file is corrupt but I sent the same file to my home computer and installed it within 30 seconds. The problem is I need this software on my work computer.
    Saturday, August 29, 2015 1:49 AM
  • Our local administrators were not able to install the software. They ran into the same problems on their own computers as they did trying to install the software on my work computer. I did not ask them to try checking the security provisions of the file.

When I checked it myself, Users can read&execute and read; Administrators can have full control, modify, read&execute, read, and write, but they do not have access to special permissions; SYSTEM has the same permissions as Administrators; and finally Authenticated Users can modify, read&execute, read, and write, but no full control or special permissions.

Does this help give more incite into the problem?

Saturday, August 29, 2015 1:59 AM
  • Hi Guest123085,

Please open an administrator command line and then run "sfc /scannow". Once the scan has been completed successfully. Then run "net user administrator /active:yes" to activate the administrator account and login with that account to install the software.

If the issue persists, please turn off the firewall and the antivirus software temporarily to have a check.
    We also could try to install in a clean boot environment to have a check.
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 31, 2015 6:21 AM
  • Hi MeipoXu,

This unfortunately also didn't work. The administrator here has tried that method and a few other methods that didn't work. Do you have any other advice on how to fix this error?

Here is an excerpt from an email I received from one of our IT admins:

Good Afternoon,

I had already tried this method. It is a challenge to get this installed. Perhaps another administrator might be able to provide an solution?

Here is what I have tried so far:

renamed Msvcrt.dll to .old  install failed

renamed back to .dll and regisitered dll file

ran sfc /scannow errors found and fixed install failed

changed permissions on .dll file and owenrship - install fails

tried to install in compatibiltiy mode, erros out mscomctl.ocx cannot be opened, appears to be an old version of software that might require a 32 bit os to work.

I also tried to install on a 32 bit machine and it error’s out.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 8:18 PM
  • Hi Guest123085,

Have you tried to run "net user administrator /active:yes" to activate the built-in administrator account and login with that account to install the software? Is the same software installer package installed well on other machines?

Please ensure you have login with the built-in administrator account (It has the highest right of the local system) and run the following command line to take ownership and assign the rights again to have a check.
    takeown /f "C:\\Windows\system32\Msvcrt.dll" /d y
    icacls "C:\\Windows\system32\Msvcrt.dll" /grant administrator:F /q

If the issue persists, please contact the software support for help at the same time.

Best regards

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 2:58 AM
  • Hi MeipoXu

The software was finally installed. The solution for installation was surprisingly simple. One of our IT admins started messing around with the properties of the executable and clicked on the compatibility tab. The executable was set to Windows XP (Service Pack 3). We changed it to Windows 7 and the executable ran just fine.

Thanks for all of your suggestions in trying to solve this issue.

• Marked as answer by Guest123085 Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:15 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 12:15 AM