none
Operating System needs repair

Question

• I have Windows 7 Professional and was just told by Western Digital technical support that they think my operating system needs repair. I am unable to download the software for my new external hard drive. I purchased a my passport which came with software called WD Backup. After hours of a remote session and after escalation to a higher level, they determined that my Windows 7 is corrupt. Please help.  There is not a restore point that goes any farther than a few days ago that I can find. Nothing is backed up on the computer since I cannot get this external hard drive software on it.  How would I repair this?  I don't have a disk copy of windows 7 either.

• Edited by Jeanine919 Friday, April 13, 2018 6:00 PM
    Friday, April 13, 2018 5:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeanine919.

You can download the ISO file of Windows 7 from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 and use it to burn a DVD and have a Windows 7 installation disc.
    You need to have a Full Retail product key for Windows 7: you'll be asked to provide that product key code for validation before being allowed to download.
    If your Windows 7 copy was pre-installed in your PC, you have to contact the computer's manufacturer and ask for a set of recovery discs.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Friday, April 13, 2018 7:00 PM
  • Western Digital as with Seagate,the only services installing would be firmware & the MS-DOS utility..With youre

problem(s),in run or cmd type: diskmgmt.msc  in msc,locate the external HD,L.click on it,go up to actions/all/select "Make Active" close out msc..As for Win 7 corruption,R.click on cmd,run as Administrator,in cmd type: Sfc /Scannow  once its thru,type:  CHKDSK C: /F  agree to restart,type: EXIT  restart pc....Also,as for disk copy,you already have the service/software installed (RoboCopy & XCOPY),both run in cmd.

To run XCOPY,refer to TechNet bb491035  or use the cmd: XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r

D: being the HD to transfer to,if different letter,then change it to that...

Friday, April 13, 2018 11:08 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to take following steps to see if it could boot into safe mode.

1. Just before the Windows 7 splash screen shown above appears, press the F8 key to enter Advanced Boot Options.

2. Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, highlight the Safe Mode and press Enter.

If yes, please try to use the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) to check system files and recovery corrupted files in safe mode, here are steps:

1. Open Command Prompt (as administrator).

2. Type sfc /scannow, and then press Enter.

If no, please try to take Luigi Bruno’s advice to create a Windows 7 installation media or ask for recovery discs to do an in-place upgrade.

Here is link about in-place upgrade.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2255099/how-to-perform-an-in-place-upgrade-on-windows-vista--windows-7--window

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 16, 2018 6:38 AM
  • Hi, 

How’s everything going? Please feel free to give me any update.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:57 AM
  • Hi, 

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Friday, April 20, 2018 6:36 AM