dual boot RRS feed

• Question

• when win10 build 9926 first came out I installed as dual boot with my windows 8.1 pro and it worked perfectly . didn't have to choose any defaults I just installed win10 (under uefi bios like win 8.1 pro was) but because of some incompatabillty issues I re-installed windows 8.1 pro only.. after a month or so I deciced to download a new copy of windows 10 build 9926 and when I tried to dual boot it again  and installed itself on my second ssd all went ok but this time  when I rebooted it went straight into windows 10 (no dual boot option) and when looked at my first ssd the windows partition had been wiped even though the other 3 partitions were intact .has any body any clues as to why this happened ..I am back to win 8.1 pro as I cant trust the win 10 after this calamity
    • Edited by dekka1948 Monday, February 16, 2015 1:47 PM
    Monday, February 16, 2015 1:46 PM

Answers

• when win10 build 9926 first came out I installed as dual boot with my windows 8.1 pro and it worked perfectly . didn't have to choose any defaults I just installed win10 (under uefi bios like win 8.1 pro was) but because of some incompatabillty issues I re-installed windows 8.1 pro only..

Do you mean that you reinstalled the Windows 8.1 only, then what about the Windows 10 9926? The boot entry for Windows 10 9926 should be stored in Windows 8.1, so when you reinstalled Windows 8.1, the previous Windows 10 9926 can also be un-bootable.

"when I rebooted it went straight into windows 10 (no dual boot option) and when looked at my first ssd the windows partition had been wiped even though the other 3 partitions were intact"

What is the detailed situation now? Only one system left? When you tried to created dual boot again, (I assume that you've cleared all previous unuseful partitions), please make sure that you're doing a fresh clean installation, not upgrade your original Windows 8.1 system. you can run msconfig, then under boot tab, check your boot options.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 5:17 AM
  • ok  I have 2 windows 10 iso`s which I downloaded a month apart so  I will call them win10-1 and win10-2

brand new install of windows 8.1 pro an ssd1 totaly updated and running fine so I install win10-1 and dual boot is perfect so I wipe both my ssd`s and re-install window 8.1 pro agian all updates and running well so I install win10-2 ,,, now no dual boot and windows 8.1 ssd has 4 partitions (as  per uefi bios) but he main partition that did have windows 8. on is empty. can only think that something in win10-2 iso got flawed somehow on downwload even tough the SHAH is correct. now this doesn't matter as ive re-install everything using win10-1 iso and enjoying  windows 10 and  8.1 pro best of both worlds case is now closed

• Marked as answer by dekka1948 Sunday, February 22, 2015 7:47 PM
    Sunday, February 22, 2015 7:47 PM

All replies

• when win10 build 9926 first came out I installed as dual boot with my windows 8.1 pro and it worked perfectly . didn't have to choose any defaults I just installed win10 (under uefi bios like win 8.1 pro was) but because of some incompatabillty issues I re-installed windows 8.1 pro only..

Do you mean that you reinstalled the Windows 8.1 only, then what about the Windows 10 9926? The boot entry for Windows 10 9926 should be stored in Windows 8.1, so when you reinstalled Windows 8.1, the previous Windows 10 9926 can also be un-bootable.

"when I rebooted it went straight into windows 10 (no dual boot option) and when looked at my first ssd the windows partition had been wiped even though the other 3 partitions were intact"

What is the detailed situation now? Only one system left? When you tried to created dual boot again, (I assume that you've cleared all previous unuseful partitions), please make sure that you're doing a fresh clean installation, not upgrade your original Windows 8.1 system. you can run msconfig, then under boot tab, check your boot options.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 5:17 AM
  • ok  I have 2 windows 10 iso`s which I downloaded a month apart so  I will call them win10-1 and win10-2

brand new install of windows 8.1 pro an ssd1 totaly updated and running fine so I install win10-1 and dual boot is perfect so I wipe both my ssd`s and re-install window 8.1 pro agian all updates and running well so I install win10-2 ,,, now no dual boot and windows 8.1 ssd has 4 partitions (as  per uefi bios) but he main partition that did have windows 8. on is empty. can only think that something in win10-2 iso got flawed somehow on downwload even tough the SHAH is correct. now this doesn't matter as ive re-install everything using win10-1 iso and enjoying  windows 10 and  8.1 pro best of both worlds case is now closed

• Marked as answer by dekka1948 Sunday, February 22, 2015 7:47 PM
    Sunday, February 22, 2015 7:47 PM