none
Add an existing task (PWA 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When I Insert a Row > Insert Task > Add an existing task: sometimes I see the WBS of the project and I'm able to select my assignment on an existing task.

But often I just see the project name and I'm just able to assign myself to the upper project level, not to an elementary task? (I'm sure there is a WBS in the project and I'm assigned to a task: I did it on purpose)

What could be the cause of that?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 12:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

interesting question. I found following reasons, when no siingle tasks are displayed to select from:

• resource is not assigned to this task
    • task is manually scheduled

So perhaps the tasks you are missing are manually scheduled?

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, March 3, 2011 9:38 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thanks for these suggestions.

I checked that the resource is assigned to the elementary task.

I never use  Manual scheduling...

I'm afraid there is a corruption on my server :(

Thursday, March 3, 2011 10:17 AM
  • Hi,

just found a third one: booking type = proposed will also hide single tasks.
    Maybe there are some more. I will let you know if I run into any other resaon.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, March 3, 2011 11:08 AM
  • Barbara,

Thanks for your great help!

Thursday, March 3, 2011 12:41 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

I would like to re-open this post as we are facing a similar issue using Insert Row>Insert Task option in PWA 2010.

We have project plan in 2010 Project server EPM and resources were already assigned to the tasks, and the actual hours were also present in the project plan for these tasks, the project plans are still in "Committed" Status and they are set to Auto Scheduling. But still these tasks are not visible in their respective timesheets, and are not displayed in Insert Row>Insert Task> Add an Existing Task Window.

However on re-assigning the resources to the already assigned tasks and then publishing the project plan is fixing the issue. Can you please suggest what went wrong. If we have to follow this process we have to do it for 190 odd project plans for around 600 + resources on our Dev server. If we can know the root cause of this we can possibly avoid this issue in our production server.

Thanks for all the help.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Hi

I found the reason why this issue is happening. We have SEM mode enabled.

In SEM Mode a resource cannot have a different assignment owner other than the resource himself. Hence you have to go to Timesheet>Manage Users and check if the resource has different assignment owner or not.

If not Open the project plan in Project and double-click on Task to which resource is assigned, go to resources tab, check the assignment owner column, change it to resource name. Now add a new column "Publish" in the project plan and check if it is set 'Yes' if not set it to Yes and then publish the project plan.

Now go back to Timesheet>Insert Row>Insert Task, you will find the tasks there in Add an existing Task window for that project plan.

You can change the Assignment Owner in MSP_Resources table or in the Timesheet>Manager Users>Default Assignment Owner, but these changes will be applicable only to resource assignments made from the point, for the all the old resource assignments we have to do it manually by going into project plan.
    Friday, May 4, 2012 2:45 PM