none
Configuring IE's proxy settings via GPP RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to apply proxy settings to our IEs 8, 9, 10 and 11 via Group Policy and found that "Automatically Detect Settings" option in the Group Policy Preferences (GPP) for IE8 and 9 is greyed out for some reason (IE10 is OK). The PC where I edit the GPP is Windows 8.1 and our domain controllers are Windows Server 2008 R2.

I know it is possible to use Registry preferences as described here however I am worried this registry setting might not be compatible with all IEs versions including future versions. I just can't believe the GPP is unable to configure this simple setting for the IE8 browser..
    Monday, September 15, 2014 4:24 AM

All replies

• Registry should work for IE8 as well.

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, September 15, 2014 4:26 AM
  • Yes, I know. Almost all our 400 workstations are IE8 at the moment. However what about IE 10, 11 and 12 in the future? I don't want take the risk and applying the registry hack for our production workstations.
    Monday, September 15, 2014 4:51 AM
  • GPP should work for this.

Have you seen this article?

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/asiatech/archive/2014/05/12/how-to-apply-the-content-of-ie-settings-in-gpo-which-used-iem-ie-maintenance-before-ie10-to-ie10-version-since-iem-has-been-deprecated-begin-from-ie10.aspx

Some people have had trouble applying this, and you may need to delete and then re-create the IE settings item within the GPO.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Monday, September 15, 2014 8:53 PM
    Monday, September 15, 2014 8:52 PM
  • At my Windows 8.1 PC I created a new GPO, created a new GPP: User Configuration - Preferences - Control Panel Settings - Internet Settings - New - Internet Explorer 8, 9 and still have the "Automatically detect settings" option greyed out! Can you try doing the same at your PC and see if you have this option greyed out too?

• Edited by Machetta Tuesday, September 16, 2014 12:05 AM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 12:02 AM
  • At my Windows 8.1 PC I created a new GPO, created a new GPP: User Configuration - Preferences - Control Panel Settings - Internet Settings - New - Internet Explorer 8, 9 and still have the "Automatically detect settings" option greyed out! Can you try doing the same at your PC and see if you have this option greyed out too?

Hmm, looks like this method only works for IE10/11. (It's not working for me with WS2012R2, if I try IE8/9)

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:10 AM