none
PaaS for MIM (SQL & SharePoint online) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Has anyone tried or have any advice around using Azure PaaS services for the underlying SQL and/or SharePoint components of MIM?

For those clients that have a "cloud first" approach the best MIM can offer them according to the current supported platform list (1) is building the solution in Azure VMs; is it possible to move some components higher up the cloud 'stack' (eg PaaS instead of IaaS).

Many thanks,

Michael

(1) https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-identity-manager/microsoft-identity-manager-2016-supported-platforms

Monday, November 20, 2017 12:50 AM

All replies

• Good question, and something I have always wondered but never had time to try.  Maybe I need to bump it up the list of things to do.

What I have always wondered is can you replicate the SQL Agent jobs that run for the MIM Service, in Azure SQL? 

I expect that the installers will fail at the first hurdle of trying to confirm the database is a valid version, but if you get past that, I suspect the Sync Engine might be okay, no idea with SharePoint, and the Service might work, with the exception of anything that is triggered by SQL Agent jobs.

Even if it did work, I would still not recommend customers to adopt this approach until it is listed as a supported platform.

Ian

Monday, November 20, 2017 9:58 AM
  • Thanks Ian :)
    Monday, November 20, 2017 10:18 PM
  • This isn't supported today. As Ian alludes to, there are a number of SQL dependencies that aren't available in Azure SQL.

Thanks,
    Brian

Consulting | Blog | AD Book

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 3:00 PM