Failure to install windows updates since May 2017 RRS feed

• Question

• HI

It seems like almost every time I turn off my laptop (router/new HD since 12/16/ about 5 years old Toshiba) there are windows updates that require downloading and installing during laptop shutting off.

It also seems that there are always 7 updates to install and that they are the same 7 updates at least since 5/17 until today.

Looking at the updates log, reveals that it is not entirely correct, although there appear to be many updates that in fact are the same one, which my laptop cannot seem to be able to install it. This is (for example) one of those updates:

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (Kb3080149). I can provide the rest of the updates list/log in order to check the reason for the downloading/installment failure of those updates

But I would appreciate an answer, something that will enable me to fix the problem and avoid from leaving my computer for a whole week again, at the importer's premises.

Please explain the possible reason for the updating failure and the solution for the problems or how to resolve it asap.

Thank you

Oree.

Monday, June 26, 2017 6:09 PM

All replies

• When windows update fail please post the KB# with the error code.  Please do this with each KB# that has failed.

Are all windows updates failing or only specific windows updates?

Make sure that you are not on a metered connection.

1) run the windows update troubleshooter

2) place the computer in clean boot

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/29876.how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows-10.aspx

3) depending on the error the windows update components may need to be reset.

4) open administrative command prompt and run:  sfc /scannow

5) reattempt windows updates.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 5:36 AM
  • Hi Oree,

There are many reason for the issue, such as system file corrupt, antivirus software and firewall prevent update package from downloading and installing, or corrupted Windows components and so on.

“It also seems that there are always 7 updates to install and that they are the same 7 updates at least since 5/17 until today.”
    If the only one update package pending to install for 7 times, we could run the following command as administrator  to clean the update cache.
    net stop wuauserv 
    CD %Windir%         
    CD SoftwareDistribution         
    DEL /F /S /Q Download
    net start wuauserv

Then download and install it from Windows Update catalog.
    If the error still occur when you download or install the package, you could try the following steps.

1. Run built-in windows troubleshooting tool:
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\ System and Security\Fix problems with Windows Update\Advanced\Run as administrator:
    2. Run System Update Readiness Tool to fix the issue automatically.
    3.Run the command “sfc /scannow” with administrator right to check the health of system files.
    4. Perform a Clean Boot following the document and manually update again.
    5. Disable firewall and antivirus temporarily.

At last, to troubleshoot the issue deeply, please check error codes recorded in the Event Viewer(Windows Logs\Applications, Setup, System). Then upload the Windowsupdate.log(C:\Windows) and CBS.log (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) to OneDrive and paste the link here. We will help you to analyze them.

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Joy-Qiao Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:03 AM
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:02 AM
  • Joy,

Please compare your windows reset commands to these commands and explain what each line does and when to chose which commands.

net stop wuauserv  
    CD %Windir%          
    CD SoftwareDistribution          
    DEL /F /S /Q Download
    net start wuauserv

Net stop bits
    Net stop wuauserv
    Net stop appidsvc
    Net stop cryptsvc
    Del %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat /Q
    Del "%HOMEDRIVE%\Users\All Users\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat" /Q
    Del %WINDIR%\SoftwareDistribution\*.* /s /Q
    Net start bits
    Net start wuauserv
    Net start appidsvc
    Net start cryptsvc

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:20 AM
  • Hi questionsformicrosoftproducts,

The command line provided to OP is for stopping Windows update service, directing to C driver Windows root software distribution folder. Then deleting the Download folder. At last to restart Windows update service.

As one thread just for one issue, I recommend you to create a new thread for your issue.

Bests,

Joy. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Joy-Qiao Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:59 AM
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 8:58 AM