Outlook Categories Suddenly Not Working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

The category shortcuts (i.e. CTRL + F2) are no longer working in the past few days. I noticed my Office 365 updated recently, possibly (but I'm not 100% sure) right before it stopped working. The emails that were categorized are still categorized but, I can't figure out how to categorize new emails - with or without the shortcut keys. :-(

I've checked (including the BIOS) to make sure the function keys are function keys and not special keys.

I've went to Data File Properties and clicked the "Upgrade to Color Categories" and re-started.

And, I've got the issue on both my (Acer) desktop and Surface Pro.

My Surface Pro's Outlook version is 1901 (Build 11231.20130). When I click the About Outlook button in Office Account, it shows "Microsoft Outlook for Office 365 MSO (16.0.11231.20122) 64-bit". 

I'm stuck!!! Hope someone can help here.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 6, 2019 7:23 PM

Answers

• Hi Jayeq and CalebB11,

According to the reply of Diane in the following thread which discusses a similar issue, it seems that this is a known issue which is under investigation:

Shortcut to tag Outlook categories is not working

Please refer to the discussion there and see if it applies to your situation. 

Besides, I tested in my side(Outlook for Office 365, 16.0.11231.20122) and noticed that adding categories manually by right clicking or from the ribbon can still work as expected. See this article for more details about adding categories. Or you may consider reverting back to an earlier edition of Office as a temporary workaround. 

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 7, 2019 9:01 AM
  • Done. I'm sure MSFT are bundling this with other fixes but not happy to wait so long for a fix to this. Obviously not critical functionality but it's fairly broken. I can (only?) drag and drop the messages into a category but only if I hide the Flag Status in the View Settings. (Which seems odd that categories and flags are linked somehow...)

Thanks for the informative, if not resolving link, though!

Hi Jayeq,

According to the official article below, this issue is fixed in Monthly Channel Version 1902 (Build 11328.20146) and higher.  please open Outlook and choose File > Office Account > Update Options > Update Now to get the update.

Category shortcuts stopped working after installing Version 1901 (Build 11231.20130) update for Outlook for Windows

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Jayeq Wednesday, March 6, 2019 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 4:45 AM

All replies

• Same issue with me, after Office 365 upgrade. I have also noticed new categories I have never had.
    • Edited by CalebB11 Wednesday, February 6, 2019 10:42 PM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2019 10:42 PM
  • Hi Jayeq and CalebB11,

According to the reply of Diane in the following thread which discusses a similar issue, it seems that this is a known issue which is under investigation:

Shortcut to tag Outlook categories is not working

Please refer to the discussion there and see if it applies to your situation. 

Besides, I tested in my side(Outlook for Office 365, 16.0.11231.20122) and noticed that adding categories manually by right clicking or from the ribbon can still work as expected. See this article for more details about adding categories. Or you may consider reverting back to an earlier edition of Office as a temporary workaround. 

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Thursday, February 7, 2019 9:01 AM
  • Hi Jayeq,

It has been a while, how's everything going? If the reply above was useful, do you mind helping mark it as answer so that others who might encounter a similar issue can benefit from our discussion here? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Monday, February 11, 2019 10:26 AM
  • Done. I'm sure MSFT are bundling this with other fixes but not happy to wait so long for a fix to this. Obviously not critical functionality but it's fairly broken. I can (only?) drag and drop the messages into a category but only if I hide the Flag Status in the View Settings. (Which seems odd that categories and flags are linked somehow...)

Monday, February 11, 2019 10:33 AM

Hi Jayeq,

According to the official article below, this issue is fixed in Monthly Channel Version 1902 (Build 11328.20146) and higher.  please open Outlook and choose File > Office Account > Update Options > Update Now to get the update.

Category shortcuts stopped working after installing Version 1901 (Build 11231.20130) update for Outlook for Windows

Regards,

Yuki Sun

• Marked as answer by Jayeq Wednesday, March 6, 2019 8:54 AM
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 4:45 AM
  • Many thanks for that, Yuki! Got my category hot keys back and am very happy. :-D
    Wednesday, March 6, 2019 8:55 AM
  • Many thanks for that, Yuki! Got my category hot keys back and am very happy. :-D

You're welcome :) Glad to be of help. 

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Wednesday, March 6, 2019 9:01 AM