none
Project Server 2007 SP2 - Cube Timesheet shows incorrect data (Work vs Actual Work) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

users have reported that the Timesheet Cube should show up wrong data. At a certain point of time actual work shows up in column work.. even though this person has entered his timesheet data.

We are using PS 2007 with SP2.

Feedback welcome!

Thanks

Sven

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 7:18 AM

Answers

• Hi Sven,

since Dharmesh hasn't answered so far, I will fall in.

I am not sure where your resource is updating process? There are two possibilties to eneter actuals, one in Timesheet, on in My Tasks.
    - Timesheet are submitted to timesheet manager for approval,
    - tasks are submitted to project manager or status manager if modified in project plan. Task updates need to be approved AND published by the project manager before available in cubes.

- Actuals in timesheet are named Actual Work Billable, Actual Work Non-Billable, .....
    - Actuals in projects or entered in My Tasks are called Actual Work, Actual Overtime, ...

- Actuals in Timesheets are only available in cubes which names include "Timesheet".
    - Actuals of project plans (My Tasks) are available in cubes like PortfolioAnalyzer, Assignmanet Timephased, ...

With that background, can you please explain on which screen your resources are updating progress and in what cube do you want to find this data?

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Ok, I have had a number of these issues before.  This is what I would do to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Check the difference between Project Pro and PWA Project Center - is there a difference?  If so, the Project Plan needs to be published.

2. Check the difference between PWA Project Center - OLAP Cube - is there a difference?  If so, I would physically delete the cube / re-name the cube and see if the values are now correct.

I have seen issues where the cube needs to be re-created for the correct values to come through.

Hope this helps to begin with to troubleshoot this issue.

Regards,

Dharmesh

• Proposed as answer by Dharm Patel Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:44 AM
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 9:44 AM
  • Ok, now.. more information:

• A resource has been assigned to a task from date a to date b. Resource has submitted his timesheet long after date b. The task has not been completed yet.
    • I have checked Timesheet Cube and the views from Reporting DB that this cube is based on. The resource's timesheet data can be found.
      Values are in columns ActualWork and ActualCost.
    • I have checked Cube Assignment Timephased.
      Values are missing in columns ActualWork and ActualCost.

Does this explain why these values are missing in cube Assignment Timephased ?

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:49 AM
  • Hi Sven,

since Dharmesh hasn't answered so far, I will fall in.

I am not sure where your resource is updating process? There are two possibilties to eneter actuals, one in Timesheet, on in My Tasks.
    - Timesheet are submitted to timesheet manager for approval,
    - tasks are submitted to project manager or status manager if modified in project plan. Task updates need to be approved AND published by the project manager before available in cubes.

- Actuals in timesheet are named Actual Work Billable, Actual Work Non-Billable, .....
    - Actuals in projects or entered in My Tasks are called Actual Work, Actual Overtime, ...

- Actuals in Timesheets are only available in cubes which names include "Timesheet".
    - Actuals of project plans (My Tasks) are available in cubes like PortfolioAnalyzer, Assignmanet Timephased, ...

With that background, can you please explain on which screen your resources are updating progress and in what cube do you want to find this data?

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, August 12, 2010 5:53 AM
  • Thank you :-)
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Good Morning,

the resources update the actuals via timesheets. After approval the timesheets are imported by the PM recalculates and submits the changes. In Project Professional these items update the actuals. PM saves and publishes the plan.

Ofcourse I recreated the cubes.

It seems to me that the Reporting Database and the realworld is not in sync, although this only happens to certain resources.

Is it painful to recreate the Reporting Database or is it easy going and without any risk ?

Regards

Sven

Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:31 AM
  • Good Morning Sven,

Ok, so if it does seem like that the Reporting database is out of sync.  It is possible to rebuild the Reporting Database and it is not that painful.  Use the following blog posting which explains in detail how to do this - http://projectserverblogs.com/?p=1428

NOTE: I would highly recommend that you do this out of hours (as the queue will be processing the rebuild of the Reporting Database) and also to take full backups of all your databases.  This is standard practice.

Also when you rebuild the database, please ensure that you keep an eye on the queue to ensure that there is nothing blocking the job.

Regards,

Dharmesh

Thursday, August 12, 2010 7:57 AM
  • Hi Sven,

I have just receive a notification that a new KB was released: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2290258

Issues that this hotfix package fixes

• Timesheet actuals are not populated in the Reporting database if an initial save or submit operation fails.

Possibly your issue?
    Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, August 12, 2010 10:49 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

unfortunately this issue is not mine, because the Timesheet cubes get populated correctly. It is the MSP Portfolio Analyser that has not the correct values in the Assignments. Now, I thought hat a rebuild of the reporting db would do the job, but it fails.

At first it stays for a very long time in state 'Waiting to be processed (sleeping)' and then it fails with this error message: (details below)

A RDS message that was spawned during a RDB refresh operation attempted to execute outside of the time range in which the refresh operation run.

Any ideas ?

Sven

Error summary/areas:
    Reporting message processor failed
    ReportingResourceChangeMessageFailed
    Queue
    GeneralQueueJobFailed
    Error details:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
    <errinfo>
     <general>
      <class name="Reporting message processor failed">
       <error id="24008" name="ReportingResourceChangeMessageFailed" uid="b7fdd44f-c3ee-4bcf-a96f-99b56d232a9d" QueueMessageBody="Resource UID: '0405245f-2b10-43e2-99df-5e3cedff6d6b'. ChangeType='Add'. ResourceChangeType='All'" Error="A RDS message that was spawned during a RDB refresh operation attempted to execute outside of the time range in which the refresh operation run." />
       <error id="24008" name="ReportingResourceChangeMessageFailed" uid="d594448f-a2a6-471b-baa2-45f0f6c802f3" QueueMessageBody="Resource UID: '0405245f-2b10-43e2-99df-5e3cedff6d6b'. ChangeType='Add'. ResourceChangeType='All'" Error="A RDS message that was spawned during a RDB refresh operation attempted to execute outside of the time range in which the refresh operation run." />
       <error id="24008" name="ReportingResourceChangeMessageFailed" uid="6d6cdce6-2723-4d17-9c97-846577eccd76" QueueMessageBody="Resource UID: '0405245f-2b10-43e2-99df-5e3cedff6d6b'. ChangeType='Add'. ResourceChangeType='All'" Error="A RDS message that was spawned during a RDB refresh operation attempted to execute outside of the time range in which the refresh operation run." />
       <error id="24008" name="ReportingResourceChangeMessageFailed" uid="88867cbb-4d41-4d36-986e-48594ece6967" QueueMessageBody="Resource UID: '0405245f-2b10-43e2-99df-5e3cedff6d6b'. ChangeType='Add'. ResourceChangeType='All'" Error="A RDS message that was spawned during a RDB refresh operation attempted to execute outside of the time range in which the refresh operation run." />
       <error id="24008" name="ReportingResourceChangeMessageFailed" uid="dd3970d2-825a-42b0-b18b-1e9c11f66a41" QueueMessageBody="Resource UID: '0405245f-2b10-43e2-99df-5e3cedff6d6b'. ChangeType='Add'. ResourceChangeType='All'" Error="A RDS message that was spawned during a RDB refresh operation attempted to execute outside of the time range in which the refresh operation run." />
       <error id="24008" name="ReportingResourceChangeMessageFailed" uid="c4fcdb53-4b0d-4eb9-a303-85defc115b5e" QueueMessageBody="Resource UID: '0405245f-2b10-43e2-99df-5e3cedff6d6b'. ChangeType='Add'. ResourceChangeType='All'" Error="A RDS message that was spawned during a RDB refresh operation attempted to execute outside of the time range in which the refresh operation run." />
      </class>
      <class name="Queue">
       <error id="26000" name="GeneralQueueJobFailed" uid="84e6a612-d65f-4d8e-bcca-b452a05e8860" JobUID="bcef24d3-9e14-4a45-a2d3-a266422472c5" ComputerName="DC1" GroupType="ReportingResourceSync" MessageType="ReportResourceSyncMessageEx" MessageId="1" Stage="" />
      </class>
     </general>
    </errinfo>

Thursday, August 12, 2010 11:06 AM
  • I think I have seen this before - When you go to Server Settings - Delete Enterprise Objects - you may find a file in the list labelled as "inactive global".

What you need to do is delete this inactive global.  There is no use of this file.

Once agian, please ensure that you have all backups.  This is a must!

Please come back to to forum if you still have issues.  I will keep checking this feed as much as I can to help.

Regards,

Dharmesh

Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Just to continue on from my post above, once the inactive global has been deleted then try to DB Refresh once again......
    Thursday, August 12, 2010 3:38 PM