HP SSM Driver Install Prompts RRS feed

• Question

• Currently running ConfigMgr 2012 R2 CU4 on Windows 2012 server.

I am testing out using the HP SSM utility to deploy drivers. A WMI query points to the correct folder for the utility to look at for it's drivers and that all works out fine for all models I have set up. The problem I am having involves some of the Intel drivers popping up a message box that the driver was installed successfully. This creates a delay in the OSD since it is waiting for OK to be pressed. If I let the process run untouched, additional message boxes will pop up with the same message.

Only some Intel drivers do this. It seems that the "silent" arguments I pass to the HP SSM utility are not honored by the Intel installer utility. Is there an elegant way to close these message boxes? A PoSh wrapper using SendKeys, kill the installer process? I do not want to have to extract MSI's from the HP packages and make custom packages for each offending driver.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 5:32 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you provide one or more problematic drivers?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 9:07 AM
  • Why aren't you using the standard "Apply Driver Package" -method of installing drivers during the task sequence?
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 4:51 AM
  • Probably because a HP tech has recommended that this is how they provision driver packages for their images.

I've had HP provide similar advise - I looked into it then decided not to go down that path.

• Edited by Damon. Johns Wednesday, November 11, 2015 7:48 AM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 7:47 AM
  • And why's that exactly? ConfigMgr has the built-in features to apply drivers during the operating system installation, why don't you want to use those?

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 2:26 PM
  • Not that it pertains to my initial question...

I don't like using the driver repository. Importing, bloating the DB, longer to copy all the 10's of thousands of extracted files during the "Apply Driver Pack" step, a whole lot of drivers in vendor packs with drivers I don't need. And it is not very easy to manage long term.

Using HP SSM, I point it at a package path. WMI lookup for model is the same as the path, so adding a new model is only creating a new folder in the main drivers path, the TS never has to change. SSM will also handle BIOS updates without any additional detection/scripting. This method is much faster in my testing, at least 5 minutes shaved off OSD.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 5:05 PM
  • I assume you are using the latest version of SSM?

Have you logged a support case with HP technical support regarding the issue? They may have a workaround that their engineers use.

There are some threads from people who use the SSM, it might be worth posting a follow up on those to see if anyone can help you? I have a feeling that a large number of people using the SSM with OSD will be those who are using MDT rather than Config Manager. You could try posting a new query to that part of forum group?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/54231a86-56a8-444b-8601-c9a859d4db0f/anyone-else-working-with-hp-softpaqbased-driver-files?forum=mdt

Cheers

Damon

• Edited by Damon. Johns Wednesday, November 11, 2015 7:08 PM
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 6:53 PM
  • The reason I'm suggesting to use the built-in features is that the product was designed to be used with this way.

What happens when you deploy a task sequence and after the Apply Operating System -step the machine reboots (goes in to Setup Windows & ConfigMgr -step) and your machine doesn't have the needed drivers installed because you don't use the built-in feature of injecting the drivers in to the installed OS? Well, if there's no network drivers to be used, it will fail. I'm assuming you're running the HP tool after the Setup Windows & ConfigMgr, in the FullOS -phase of the sequence.

Another note is that, if you were using the built-in feature, you wouldn't have the kind of problem you're describing in the thread. Arguing that you gain 5 minutes with this method is just pointless. Sure you have to work a little bit more if you use the built-in way, I don't argue with that, but just note that the way you're using the product might have some flaws (like the one you're having now).

Thursday, November 12, 2015 4:47 AM
  • Did you get this working?
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 4:13 AM
  • I did. The resolution was to update the HP SSM tool. Version 3.2.2.1 of the tool had a bug where it was truncating the last character of the "/silent" switch for the InstMultiPkg.exe command referenced inside the CVA file for the Intel drivers using that installer wrapper. The latest version of the tool,  v3.2.4.1 , resolves the bug.

I ended up writing a powershell wrapper to call the SSM.exe and watch the dialog box to pop up, keying off the window title of dialog box. But once I found the updated version of the tool, I stopped using the workaround.

The solution works very well. Single command, easier to update drivers and it handles the BIOS/firmware updates seamlessly, especially handling BIOS with passwords.

http://whp-aus1.cold.extweb.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HP_SSM.html

• Proposed as answer by Narcoticoo Friday, January 22, 2016 4:27 AM
    Friday, January 22, 2016 12:00 AM