Windows 7 Embedded POSReady, Whats the difference ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I just installed Windows 7 POSReady and other from the logon screen where it says Windows Embedded POSReady 7 I can't see any difference.

Can't really find anything on Microsofts site either. 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/windows-embedded-posready-7.aspx

"Firewall Enabled", Alright!! New feature!

I can see that it costs less so what's the catch ? What cant I or are allowed to run or install on that OS?

I'm trying to create an image for some HP Thin clients and thought that this were a more stripped OS but it looks like the installation is just as huge as regular windows 7.

I know that there is a "Windows 7 Embedded Standard" as well but I cannot find it on MVLSC? Only POSReady and windows 8 Industry.

So help me here please, what OS should I use on my Thin Clients?

Thanks!

Sunday, December 7, 2014 6:16 PM

Answers

• There is only one POSReady 7 product: Windows Embedded POSReady 7. Windows Embedded 8.x Industry is the successor product to POSReady 7 and WES7. POSReady 7 was intended for Point of Sale/Service systems, and it includes settings to help with PCI compliance. WES7 allows you to pick and choose the features you want in the image, and WES7 is typically used in thin clients. Unless you are building a point of sale machine, then WES7 is the direction to go.

I suggest that you contact your Microsoft distributor for more information.

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by Samus-Aran Tuesday, December 9, 2014 9:49 AM
    Monday, December 8, 2014 7:22 PM