none
Jan 2018 Cumulative update fails to install (1709) RRS feed

• Question

• KB4056892 - fails to install every time, 1709 with latest DELL BIOS that supports Spectre patch for CVE-2017-5715 [branch target injection] and I also have the latest SEP client that is compliant with this update (has the registry key set)

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80073715: Security Update for Windows (KB4056892).

Note this is an Intel I7 system, I have seen many posts about this update failing on AMD systems, but not so much for Intel

Any suggestions how I can get this to install?

• Edited by Geezer32 Wednesday, January 10, 2018 10:21 PM update
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:57 PM

All replies

• You may try downloading from  Microsoft Update Catalog website.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Thursday, January 11, 2018 12:42 AM
  • Thanks, but it's not a WU issue, I have downloaded the stand alone update from catalogue, it fails with same error

Ive also run sfc/scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth which does not help

Thursday, January 11, 2018 12:45 AM
  • Hi,

Microsoft addressed the critical vulnerabilities on devices with Intel, AMD and ARM chipsets in Windows 10 operating system.

I recommend you block it until further notice. It is supposed to fix a memory leak in Intel processors that could cause data breaches. 

Is there an option or work around to block updates or hardware drivers that might cause problems?
    Yes, Microsoft has released a KB update (KB3073930) that will let users block or hide Windows or driver updates.

You can download it at the following link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930  

After downloading, launch it, click Next, wait while it detects pending Windows Updates.

Click the Hide Updates menu.

Scroll through the list then select then select the update. Check the box next to the update then click Next to confirm changes.

Also it may be related to your security software, please check the parikhgoyal’s reply in the link below about the issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7o5880/cumulative_update_kb4056892_for_windows_10_fcu/

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 12, 2018 7:45 AM
  • Thanks but I'm looking for solutions to install this update, not to block it.  I also have the latest version of SEP endpoint which is compliant with the update

Sunday, January 14, 2018 9:42 PM