none
Using VSS hardware provider on DPM 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running two Hyper-V R2 hosts and CSV. I've been backing up my VMs to tape using standard MS shadow copy. I'd like to use my SAN provided VSS for snapshots.

I have the list of ShadowCopy commands that will initiate the snapshot on my SAN, but how do I set this up on DPM? Can I continue using one Protection group for all of my VMs or do I need to create a Protection group for each VM? I don't see a way to run ShadowCopy commands prior and and after backup.

Some examples of how this works on DPM 2012 would be appreciated. thanks.

Monday, October 1, 2012 2:18 PM

Answers

• Just got word from Datacore that there is an issue with the VSS and it will be fixed soon.
    • Marked as answer by Carltonw1 Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:57 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You need to install your VSS Hardware provider for the SAN on your protected server. 

No configuration is necessary, DPM will use the VSS writer if it is installed and can be used.

Run "vssadmin list providers", if you see the VSS hadware provider, then you can test hardware snapshot using SAN tools or DPM. 

Stephane

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties. knowledge is valid only if it is shared by All.

Monday, October 1, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Stephane,

When I try running a backup my SAN starts creating multiple snapshots (19 until the backup fails). I contacted my SAN provider (Datacore), and they said that I need to manually run these commands in order for the snapshots to work http://www.datacore.com/SSV-Webhelp/DiskShadow_Commands_Example.htm.

Is there a way to run commands prior and after a backup? Will I need to setup a protection group for each server is this manual process is required?

Thursday, October 4, 2012 7:33 PM
  • Just got word from Datacore that there is an issue with the VSS and it will be fixed soon.
    • Marked as answer by Carltonw1 Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:57 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 9:57 PM
  • Hi Carltonw1,

When DPM use the hardware provider, it will create and mount a San Hardware snapshot for every VM up to the max parrallel backup you configure into DPM.

If on one node you have 10 VM on the same CSV and configure the Max Allowed Parrallel Backup to 5, you have 5 concurent Snapshot for this LUN.

I use to be very prudent with hardware CSV snapshots since i experiment some Lun disconnection with some hardware vendor.

How many concurent backup did you configure ?

I think you should not go over 3 parrallel backup per nodes at the same time.

Ced

Friday, October 19, 2012 3:23 PM
  • Cedric,

I have at most two VMs on one CSV. When I get the new SSV hardware client I'll test and report back.

Friday, October 19, 2012 5:05 PM
  • Hi There,

Specs: Hitachi HUS Hardware Provider, DPM2012, 5 Hyper-V Cluter Nodes, Server Datacenter R2 Sp1 latest patches

we got Problems Backing up 2 VMs on the same Lun with one PG, ill get a bunch of errors. Max Allowed Parrallel Backup ist set to 3.

I Got no Idea what to do, Hitachi says we need to installat Protection Agents into the VMs. The next idea from Hitachi is: "You have to specify one to be a full backup, and one to be a copy backup".

I do not know how to configure this in DPM.

Is there someone who got Hitachi HardwareVSS running with DPM?

Beste Regards from Germany

Thursday, February 7, 2013 11:12 AM
  • DIGITsDust,

The recommendations from Hitachi don't make sense. In order to create a full backup of a vm you do need the protection agent on the host, but not on the vm and the other suggestion makes even less sense. "You have to specify one to be a full backup, and one to be a copy backup". I have my vm backups set to do a full disk-to-disk backup once a week then to tape once a month. 

Did you check the Application log in event viewer (from Host that has vm getting backed up)? 

Thursday, February 7, 2013 2:36 PM
  • Hi, did you map snapshot volumes (v-vols) to DPM server and add them to storage pool? I'm going to implement such kind of backup solution using HUS130 Hardware VSS Provider for Hyper-V cluster. Can you explain your configuration?

Thank you.

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 7:28 AM