none
The working time input row is limited(Answered) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all! If you go to

Project-change working time-work weeks-details

There is like a little spreadsheet for you to fill in the working times for any day of the week that you choose.

My problem is there is only 5 rows. I am trying to set a working time for a 24 hours shift which will need more than 5 rows to fill it all out. Is there a way for me to accomplish what I need with this limited rows?? Thanks.

Saturday, October 27, 2012 4:49 AM

Answers

• Hello,

You are welcome.  If this solved the issue, please mark this post as answered. 

Thanks for your feedback.

Gregg

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Saturday, October 27, 2012 5:08 PM

All replies

• You can use 24-hours default Calendar of Project, if this is not the case can you provide more details.

Sapna Shukla

Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:39 AM
  • Thanks for replying.

Well If you go to this section

Project-->change working time-->work weeks-->details

You will get an excel looking box where you insert the start and end time of work through out the day. So for the day and night shift schedule I have. It is like this

Day

6AM - 9:30AM

10AM to 12PM

1PM to 3:30 PM

3:30 PM to 6pm

Night

6PM - 9:30 PM

10PM - 12AM

1AM-3:30AM

4AM to 6AM

If I were to fill all these into the details section it will take up 8 rows. But I only have 5 rows. So how can I tell MS project to include these times in a day??

Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:00 AM
  • Hello,

I would dare say that you have entered the realm of what I term "micro-project management".  The two questions that comes to my mind are:

1.  Are different resources working day and night?  If so, then make one calendar the day shift and one for the night shift, then assign them as base calendars accordingly.

2.  Is it imperative that all these times be included?  i.e., you are taking a 30 minute break twice on each shift... it would seem that in planning the project, these periods would be factored into calculating work and duration.

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Saturday, October 27, 2012 3:43 PM
  • 1.  Are different resources working day and night?  If so, then make one calendar the day shift and one for the night shift, then assign them as base calendars accordingly.

Aha, I had that in mind too just about 2 hours ago! I think this is probably the only way.

Yes the work is done in 2 shifts by two different group of people. I am scheduling for offshore work.

I think I will go with your point 1 above.

Thanks and Regards

Saturday, October 27, 2012 4:54 PM
  • Hello,

You are welcome.  If this solved the issue, please mark this post as answered. 

Thanks for your feedback.

Gregg

Saturday, October 27, 2012 5:08 PM