none
MDT monitoring erratic RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I started using monitoring for the first time. I configured my customsettings.ini and the workbench stuff. I get an entry for a building machine in my monitoring node and it updates to about %20 then stops updating. The machine continues to build but monitoring has stopped. My machines are being deployed via sccm 2012.

Cheers

David Z

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:49 AM

Answers

• I am well aware of CreateEvent() and EventService, having written plenty of ZTIUtility.vbs.

For the MDT service to receive events, the MDT client scripts must send status at specific points. One example is during LTIApply.wsf when it sends status at the start of the Apply and at the end.

However, for SCCM, the MDT enhancements don't call LTIApply.wsf, instead calling the native SCCM routines, those native routines do not ping back using the CreateEvent() service, hense the reason you don't get status.

You could create your own vbscript code to return status back, and inject those scripts into the Task Sequence. However note that the Management Point Service is only programed to monitor and respond to the specific hard coded event ID's found today in MDT, and is not designed to handle new types.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, October 21, 2013 11:20 PM

All replies

• David, press F5 or perform a refresh I think you will see progress. If that still isn't the case, add the following line to your customsettings.ini:

"SLShareDynamicLogging=%DeployRoot%\Logs\%COMPUTERNAME%"

This will enable dynamic logging, it will not resolve your problem but provide you with a different method of logging. Basically your bdd.log will be copied back to your deployment share, from were you can see 'live' what the client is doing at that particular moment.

Open the bdd.log with trace64 or trace32 depending on your platform.

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:35 AM
  • Hi,

We do copy our logs up to a server. Its the monitoring. It updates every ten seconds but the step name and number doesnt change after a while even though the task sequence does.

David Z

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 8:35 PM
  • I understand,

Have you read the following blog, which provides you with some handles to possibly solve the problem:

Troubleshooting MDT 2012 Monitoring

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 8:23 AM
  • Thanks,

I have read the troubleshooting and none of it applies to me. It looks like Ive got something no-one else has!

Cheers

David Z

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 9:38 PM
  • I have check the TS log and the event 41001 which sends info to the monitor only appears after a "Gather" step. No other step generates this event. As to why that is?
    Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:01 PM
  • I don't think that MDT monitoring was designed to work with SCCM. AS the first paragraph of Michael's post says:

"I mentioned a while back that I wanted to do a blog post talking about how to troubleshoot the new MDT 2012 monitoring feature for Lite Touch deployments"

Friday, October 18, 2013 2:03 AM
  • It is working but only for the "Gather" step.

If you look in ZTIUtility.vbs there is a function called CreateEvent. In this function is checks the value of "EventService" which is what you set in CustomSettings as part of monitoring. i.e.

If oEnvironment.Item("EventService") <> "" then

Im guessing this code sends the appropriate details to the port of the monitored server. So why is this code only executed during the "Gather" step and could it be modified to execute at the end of every step?

Cheers

David Z

Monday, October 21, 2013 8:48 PM
  • I am well aware of CreateEvent() and EventService, having written plenty of ZTIUtility.vbs.

For the MDT service to receive events, the MDT client scripts must send status at specific points. One example is during LTIApply.wsf when it sends status at the start of the Apply and at the end.

However, for SCCM, the MDT enhancements don't call LTIApply.wsf, instead calling the native SCCM routines, those native routines do not ping back using the CreateEvent() service, hense the reason you don't get status.

You could create your own vbscript code to return status back, and inject those scripts into the Task Sequence. However note that the Management Point Service is only programed to monitor and respond to the specific hard coded event ID's found today in MDT, and is not designed to handle new types.

Monday, October 21, 2013 11:20 PM
  • Thanks.

Its strange that blogs and doco that I have read dont have a big disclaimer saying this feature doesnt work with SCCM.

Cheers

David Z

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 12:26 AM