Windows 7 Acting Up? RRS feed

• Question

• My computer is acting up, alot of the programs have trouble opening, they freeze, and have other problems. One example was when I opened a program and 3 hours later it appeared. I have full virus protection, it might be my registry, because my registry program does not want to open up. Recently I had my motherboard fixed, but it might have not have been fixed right so I cannot be sure what the cause is.

My PC Info Is

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

3 GB Installed RAM

32 Bit

AMD Athlon Dual Core Processor 4050e 2.10 GHz

P.S. A Big Problem Is That Whenever I Right Click A File Or Do Other Actions It Says Windows Explorer Is Not Responding But I Still Can Use Shortcut Keys To Do Things Like F2 To Rename.
    • Edited by Greatveddar Monday, November 21, 2011 10:08 PM
    Monday, November 21, 2011 10:07 PM

Answers

• You can boot from the installation dvd, select repair options.

From there you can use command prompt, restore from a restore point, and complete pc restore from a complete pc backup or system image.

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:06 AM
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 1:16 PM

All replies

• You know the answer, you mentioned them in your post

You have a registry utility installed-which is voodoo-uninstall it completely and reboot

Secondly, you had the motherboard "fixed"!?!?!? It best to replace a faulty motherboard as you cannot really tell which components were damaged.

Open an elevated command prompt and run sfc /scannow  How to use system file checker

Finally, if the troubles persist, perform a complete PC restore to a time when the computer had no issues. You do have a system image backup and data backups, correct?

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 1:24 PM
  • Thanks for the advice, i cannot do sfc /scannow because when I right click an object, like run as administrator, it freezes windows explorer. I will just have to use a backup.
    Friday, November 25, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Thanks for the advice, i cannot do sfc /scannow because when I right click an object, like run as administrator, it freezes windows explorer. I will just have to use a backup.

Hi Greatveddar , try to Run sfc /scannow   in safemode.

Regards,

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    Friday, November 25, 2011 7:48 PM
  • You can boot from the installation dvd, select repair options.

From there you can use command prompt, restore from a restore point, and complete pc restore from a complete pc backup or system image.

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:06 AM
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 1:16 PM