Increased row spacing when pasting from Word to IE Hotmail RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I found that in tables there is always a symbol that looks like a ship’s wheel, when “Show all formatting marks” is turned on in Word Option->Display.

I believe this might be something related to table formatting. However, one thing I find is that every table along with its content composed in MS Word would usually have larger row spacing when pasting into hotmail editing windows under IE 9.

Paragraph mark” would also increase line spacing in IE hotmail editing window, but the increase of row spacing in tables is not due to paragraph mark since it does not exist here.

I basically want to make hotmail formatting the same as in Word, like WYSWYG, including line and table row spacing. For paragraphs, I use a macro to replace paragraph mark with an ordinary manual line break and this would result in the same line spacing when pasting into IE hotmail; for table rows, could anyone tell me how to address it?

Bob

• Edited by Bob Sun Sunday, December 11, 2011 5:38 PM
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 5:35 PM

Answers

• The symbols you are seeing in tables are the end-of-row and end-of-cell markers; these store row and cell formatting, respectively.

Note that you can’t control how Hotmail interprets Word formatting; that is up to Hotmail. Also, and perhaps more importantly, you can never say for certain how formatting inside an HTML e-mail is read in a recipient’s e-mail application. If preserving formatting is important, create a PDF and send it as an e-mail attachment instead.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Proposed as answer by macropodMVP Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bob Sun Monday, December 12, 2011 12:13 AM
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:28 PM

All replies

• The symbols you are seeing in tables are the end-of-row and end-of-cell markers; these store row and cell formatting, respectively.

Note that you can’t control how Hotmail interprets Word formatting; that is up to Hotmail. Also, and perhaps more importantly, you can never say for certain how formatting inside an HTML e-mail is read in a recipient’s e-mail application. If preserving formatting is important, create a PDF and send it as an e-mail attachment instead.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Proposed as answer by macropodMVP Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:39 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bob Sun Monday, December 12, 2011 12:13 AM
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:28 PM
  • Stefan,

I got it, thanks.

Bob

Sunday, December 11, 2011 8:37 PM