none
Local printers are offline while connected to Remote Desktop server

Question

• I have a user who is using a domain joined Windows 7 Pro PC. She has several printers mapped via a domain print server.

She uses a VPN to connect to another site with a different Windows domain. She logs into the VPN with a user account setup for her on the other domain. She then logs into a RDS server using those same credentials.

The problem is that she is unable to print to any of her local printers from the RD server. The local printers show as being redirected on the RD server.

The redirected printers all look like they're online and she receives no error when printing but nothing comes out of the printer. However, when you view the printers on her PC during an RDS session, they are all showing offline. As soon as you disconnect from the RD server and the VPN the local printers come back online and anything she tried to print to a redirected local printer while on the server now prints out.

I've checked and the print spooler service on her PC never stops so that's not the cause.

I've checked with another user as user #1's location who sits 10 feet away from her and is mapped to the same local printers. She connects to the other domain via VPN using her own credentials on the other domain and logs into that same RDS server. She then prints a document to the same redirected printer that user #1 is trying to print to, but in this person's case the document prints out and the local printers on her PC never show as being offline while connected to the VPN and RD server.

I've deleted the VPN connection from user #1's PC and re-created it and compared it to user #2 and there is no difference.

So I'm stumped as to why the locally mapped printers on this user's PC go offline as soon as she connects to the RD server.

Jonathan

Thursday, March 31, 2016 6:56 PM

All replies

• Hi SmallBizAdmin,

According to your description, the problem could be caused by the Printers check box is not selected in the Local Resources tab of remote desktop and/or. if it is selected, the correct printer driver is not installed on the remote PC. We could check the service, profile about the local printer. Please check the link below to follow these steps.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/perfguru/archive/2008/08/06/print-spooler-crash-troubleshooting-steps.aspx

Please check the link below about Local printer not available when using remote desktop

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c760190e-b4bc-4193-8cd5-16369e6c3d47/local-printer-not-available-when-using-remote-desktop?forum=w7itpronetworking

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 1, 2016 10:33 AM
  • Hi SmallBizAdmin,

According to your description, the problem could be caused by the Printers check box is not selected in the Local Resources tab of remote desktop and/or. if it is selected, the correct printer driver is not installed on the remote PC. We could check the service, profile about the local printer. Please check the link below to follow these steps.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/perfguru/archive/2008/08/06/print-spooler-crash-troubleshooting-steps.aspx

Please check the link below about Local printer not available when using remote desktop

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c760190e-b4bc-4193-8cd5-16369e6c3d47/local-printer-not-available-when-using-remote-desktop?forum=w7itpronetworking

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sorry my bad, I should have mentioned that I already looked and yes the Printers box is selected in the Local Resources tab. If it weren't, those redirected printers would not show up at all. Good point though.

That first link has so much info in it, it'll take me quite a while to go through it all. The second link I'm not sure is any help because what that person's problem is that the local printer is not showing as redirected. That's not my problem. My problem is that the local printers all show as redirected but don't work because when connected to the RD server the local printers go offline.

As for the printer driver, all PCs including user 1 and user 2 get their driver for the local printer from their print server so I know they're the same. I also checked that Environment tab in ADUC and as expected both are set the same using the default settings as shown in that one link.

Jonathan

Friday, April 1, 2016 1:40 PM
  • Hi, 

I have the same issue at the moment. 

Did you find a solution to the problem. I know this post was done a while ago so I am hoping that you still remember. 

Friday, June 21, 2019 11:19 AM
  • Hi, 

I have the same issue at the moment. 

Did you find a solution to the problem. I know this post was done a while ago so I am hoping that you still remember. 

I very faintly recall that the user was not logging off of her RDP sessions but simply disconnecting and that once she actually logged off, when she logged back in printing to a local printer than worked.

However that memory is very faint and I could be confusing it with another RDP problem. Sorry but since that was 3 years ago I have no other idea and am totally unsure if what I suggested is correct.

Jonathan

Friday, June 21, 2019 1:27 PM