Emails not delivered to shared mailboxes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I am having an issue with a dynamic distribution group.

The membership is "Only the following recipient types" and I checked "Users with Exchange mailboxes" and "Mail users with external email addresses".

I used the "Recipient container" as rule and selected an OU.

The problem is that in the OU there are shared mailboxes and the users that access the shared mailboxes complain that they do not get emails sent to the group.

I have tried adding a custom attribute to the shared mailbox and then including it in the rules of the dynamic distribution group but when an email was sent to the group, only the shared mailboxes received it.

Can you please help?

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 5:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

How do you add "Recipient Container" as rule when create dynamic distribution group?

Based on my test, I create a dynamic distribution group "DyDG", check "Users with Exchange mailboxes" and "Mail users with external email addresses", then add "CustomAttribute1" is "Test". (I have a shared mailbox which CustomAttribute1 is Test)

Then send message to DyDG and shared mailbox receive the message as expectation.

If this issue persists, please try Message trace and run below command in Exchange Online PowerShell:
    Get-Recipient -Filter (Get-DynamicDistributionGroup DyDG).RecipientFilter

Figure as below:

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Edited by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, October 19, 2016 9:08 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, October 19, 2016 3:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nad Surf Monday, November 21, 2016 8:01 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 9:06 AM
  • Dear Allen,

Thank you for your response.

I ran the command and it listed all of the users... even users outside the OU!

However, I did a message trace of the last email that was sent to that group and it was correctly delivered to users in the OU...even to the shared mailboxes. I sent this to the person who raised the issue, he re checked and confirmed that all the necessary users received the email.

Sorry for wasting your time.

• Marked as answer by Nad Surf Wednesday, October 19, 2016 12:45 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 12:42 PM

All replies

• What does the recipient filter look like?

(Get-DynamicDistributionGroup blabla).recipientfilter

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 9:03 AM
  • Hi,

How do you add "Recipient Container" as rule when create dynamic distribution group?

Based on my test, I create a dynamic distribution group "DyDG", check "Users with Exchange mailboxes" and "Mail users with external email addresses", then add "CustomAttribute1" is "Test". (I have a shared mailbox which CustomAttribute1 is Test)

Then send message to DyDG and shared mailbox receive the message as expectation.

If this issue persists, please try Message trace and run below command in Exchange Online PowerShell:
    Get-Recipient -Filter (Get-DynamicDistributionGroup DyDG).RecipientFilter

Figure as below:

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    • Edited by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, October 19, 2016 9:08 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Allen_WangJF Wednesday, October 19, 2016 3:28 PM
    • Marked as answer by Nad Surf Monday, November 21, 2016 8:01 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 9:06 AM
  • Dear Vasil,

Here is what I get:

((((RecipientType -eq 'UserMailbox') -or (RecipientType -eq 'MailUser'))) -and (-not(Name -like 'SystemMailbox{*')) -and (-not(Name -like 'CAS_{*')) -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'MailboxPlan')) -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'DiscoveryMailbox')) -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'PublicFolderMailbox')) -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'ArbitrationMailbox')) -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'AuditLogMailbox')) -and (-not(RecipientTypeDetailsValue -eq 'AuxAuditLogMailbox')))

It seems that there was no issue.

Thank you for your response and sorry for wasting your time.

• Edited by Nad Surf Wednesday, October 19, 2016 12:44 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 10:21 AM
  • Dear Allen,

Thank you for your response.

I ran the command and it listed all of the users... even users outside the OU!

However, I did a message trace of the last email that was sent to that group and it was correctly delivered to users in the OU...even to the shared mailboxes. I sent this to the person who raised the issue, he re checked and confirmed that all the necessary users received the email.

Sorry for wasting your time.

• Marked as answer by Nad Surf Wednesday, October 19, 2016 12:45 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2016 12:42 PM