none
Is it possible to upgrade 32bit version of Windows 7 to the 64bit version? RRS feed

• Question

• I just came to the realization that a computer of mine is 64bit even though it has been running the 32bit version of Windows 7.  This came about when some curiosity lead me to the manufacturer's website seeking to learn some specific details about the computer.  Interestingly there is a statement which says something to the effect that this particular computer was not intended for use with the 32bit version of Windows.  This causes me to assume that it was sold with the 64bit version installed which was changed after market.  I have no idea how this might have happened insofar as I obtained the computer from a friend who was discarding it.  This friend isn't someone who would know about such things.  I did reinstall the 32bit version of Windows when I added an SSD drive but did this thinking it was a 32bit computer because it was running the 32bit version of Windows.

While the 32bit version is working fine, I am dependent on some software where support for 32bit has been abandoned.  I'd also like to add more memory and learned that while the computer can support up to 16GB it. apparently, won't use more than 4GB when running the 32bit version of Windows.

I have quite a bit of work invested in building out the computer with the software I'm using and it would be nice if I didn't have to redo that to upgrade it to 64bit, which is what leads to my question.

Sunday, January 14, 2018 5:58 PM

Answers

• I guess that is the answer I expected.

It won't be as bad as it could have been because I already have my data stored on secondary disks both hard drives and network storage.  I also run the computer with different multi-booted versions of Win7.  The boot drive has nothing but different Windows primary partitions on it and I have room for one more.  It is just a long slog adding all of the software back but I suppose does afford an opportunity for some cleanup which always gets put off to another day which has now arrived.

Thanks for the feedback

• Marked as answer by SnookRed Monday, January 15, 2018 9:34 PM
    Monday, January 15, 2018 4:01 PM

All replies

• No. To do a platform upgrade, you must perform a fresh install of Windows. Always been like that and continues to be to this day. Backup your profile and data, then restore to the new install.

Jason

Sunday, January 14, 2018 9:35 PM
  • Consider saving the important files to another drive or to the cloud.

And consider making a backup image and saving the image to another drive or to the cloud.

Then you can perform a clean install and restore your files.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/61026-backup-restore-macrium-reflect.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

Monday, January 15, 2018 5:05 AM
  • I guess that is the answer I expected.

It won't be as bad as it could have been because I already have my data stored on secondary disks both hard drives and network storage.  I also run the computer with different multi-booted versions of Win7.  The boot drive has nothing but different Windows primary partitions on it and I have room for one more.  It is just a long slog adding all of the software back but I suppose does afford an opportunity for some cleanup which always gets put off to another day which has now arrived.

Thanks for the feedback

• Marked as answer by SnookRed Monday, January 15, 2018 9:34 PM
    Monday, January 15, 2018 4:01 PM
  • Answered your own question?

Jason

Monday, January 15, 2018 9:43 PM