OCS 2007 R2 with SCOM R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone been able to test this MP out with SCOM R2?  The guide states it is compatible with SCOM SP1, but has no details about R2.  I was wondering if anyone has tested this MP out in their environment and the issues (if any) they encountered?

It looks like it would work fine, as the recommended hotfixes are all taken care of with R2, so if anything, it would be less pre-config items.

-Cole
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Cole.

I have imported this MP in about 5 different OpsMgr R2 environments. It isn't that exciting actually. More a bit disappointing since it delivers many Views but are mostly the same. It works though which is the most important part. But they could have made it a bit more nicer to look at with a Diagram View for instance. But perhaps that is just me.

I have encountered no issues what so ever, which is good as well. As is goes with all other MPs: RTFM first before importing it.
    Best regards, Marnix Wolf

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    • Marked as answer by Cole W. _ Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:13 PM

All replies

• Hi Cole.

I have imported this MP in about 5 different OpsMgr R2 environments. It isn't that exciting actually. More a bit disappointing since it delivers many Views but are mostly the same. It works though which is the most important part. But they could have made it a bit more nicer to look at with a Diagram View for instance. But perhaps that is just me.

I have encountered no issues what so ever, which is good as well. As is goes with all other MPs: RTFM first before importing it.

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    • Marked as answer by Cole W. _ Wednesday, August 26, 2009 2:01 PM
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:13 PM
  • Thanks, Marnix.  As always, good information about the MP.  I am meeting with the OCS folks today, so we can discuss the requirements.  I have read the guide and plan to import in a secluded management group before its go at production. 

As far as a Diagram View goes, have you had any experience with building out a dist. application for this?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:23 PM
  • Hi Cole.

Nope. Haven't done that since the customers didn't want me to do that due to other obligations and agreements. Many times I find myself building the enviroments, instructing the departments who have to work with it, train them as well and then putting themselves behind the wheel. This way an OpsMgr enviroment lands best in an organization since the people are responsible for it themselves and not an outsider (me, the consultant).

But some customers are in the process of building DA's for it themselves. When the MP is in place it will certainly deliver the needed components for it. More over when the IIS (OCWA) and SQL MPs are in place, one has all the needed building blocks for it.

As always I advise to keep the DA's simple. Better to built some DA's where every DA covers a certain aspect (like one for OCWA and one for SQL connectivity) then building onbe huge DA which becomes a dragon to maintain.

Good to hear that you test it first and have read the guide. Hooray! :)

(Thoughts on OpsMgr)
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 1:34 PM