Microsoft Office Document Cache has stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• When I open a Word document or Excel spreadsheet from a network drive I receive popup "Microsoft Office Document Cache has stopped working. Hang on while Windows reports the problem to Microsoft", it then disapears and then the document opens.

I've cleared the Office Upload Center cache which is set to delete the files from the cache when they are closed but issue continues.

AV has been disabled but issue continues.

The network drive is connected to \\server\share\folder. If I open explorer to said URL then I don't receive the popup, it only occurs when opening from the network drive.

Office 365 Office 2016 32-bit is installed on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 2:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, the document can be opened correctly but a popup would be prompted about the "Office Document Cache".

Please open Office Upload Center, check if any files are syncing or uploading. Then open Word document from the network drive. Check if the issue can be reproduced when Office Upload Center is opened.

Additionally, please open file explorer go to the following path:
    %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Office\16.0\OfficeFileCache

Cut or delete all cached files there. Open registry, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\policies\microsoft\office\16.0\common, check if there is any Office Document Cache related keys and group policy settings. 

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, April 18, 2018 8:42 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If you need any further help, feel free to post back for more discussion.

If my reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:52 AM
  • I've requested access to the user's system to try that fix.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2018 1:33 PM
  • I've requested access to the user's system to try that fix.
    Any updates? Has the issue been fixed?

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Wednesday, May 2, 2018 8:55 AM