outlook .ost file RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have backup a data of a user who was previously joined to another domain and wiped his laptop clean and restored all his files. And now he is laptop is working as a workgroup (not in a domain) i backed up his .ost files before the wipe out and now when i try to go to Outlook 2007 then file>open>open outlook data file. its not there or not recognized. Is there any way i can open this?  This was all on outlook 2007

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi TorbjonHedlund,

From the description of the thread , it looks like your issue is related with Outlook Application.

this forum only handles the issues regarding Outlook Object Model.

so for better response and better solution for your issue, I move this thread to Outlook it pro discussions forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 11, 2017 6:14 AM

All replies

• Hi TorbjonHedlund,

From the description of the thread , it looks like your issue is related with Outlook Application.

this forum only handles the issues regarding Outlook Object Model.

so for better response and better solution for your issue, I move this thread to Outlook it pro discussions forum.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 11, 2017 6:14 AM
  • Hello,

I have backup a data of a user who was previously joined to another domain and wiped his laptop clean and restored all his files. And now he is laptop is working as a workgroup (not in a domain) i backed up his .ost files before the wipe out and now when i try to go to Outlook 2007 then file>open>open outlook data file. its not there or not recognized. Is there any way i can open this?  This was all on outlook 2007

If this involves an .ost file with OL'2007 then it means an Exchange account is involved. If that's the case, just rename the OST file that isn't recognized and let Outlook recreate it. An .ost file is a mirror of what is contained on the server so everything will automatically get sync'd.

As a FYI - you do not backup OST files on their own which can only be opened by the original Outlook profile/email account that created it. You will need to a 3rd party OST2PST conversion utility to access stand-alone orphaned OST files if you no longer can configure the email account.

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Thursday, May 11, 2017 11:04 AM
  • Outlook .ost file is offline folder file, it does not open by default in Outlook. You can export them into Outlook as PST format then open successfully. 
    Saturday, February 3, 2018 10:23 AM