none
EPM 2013 Baseline Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an environment where Project Server 2013 is installed with march 2015 CU installed.

Within this environment, only a PMO Group members are able to save a baseline for a project, PMs are not allowed to save protected or unprotected baseline.

I discovered that a project has an empty baseline while i am sure that it was saved, i investigated the issue and i found the following scenario...

1- PM saved the project to a local mpp file

2- Update the project and clear the baseline

3- Save the project back to the server while overwriting the exiting project

Is there a way to prevent this scenario? note that PMs has always to use MS Project Professional 2013 to manage and maintain their projects.

thank you.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 8:31 AM

Answers

• My mistake: I was refering to "new project" permission and not "save project". Removing the "new project" permission, the PM will be able to edti and save existing projects, but not to save a new project, overwriting an existing one and creating a brand new.

The consequence is that you obviously have to give this permission to another group, such as a PMO group.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by B.Wazneh Thursday, May 14, 2015 11:45 AM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Indeed as soon as the PM works locally, he is not anymore restricted by the Project Server permissions. In order to prevent PM from doing this, I usually disable the "save project" permission from the Project Manager group. The projects are created by the PMO which transfers the ownership to the PM. Thus PMs do not need to save projects and they cannot save their projects back on Project Server if they saved it locally.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:00 AM
  • Thank you for your reply,

yes for sure when the project is local, there is no more control from the project server.

what i am trying to find is a way to prevent a pm from overwriting an exiting project, he for sure must be able to maintain and update his project, even task deletion must be possible as all this will not affect the project summary task baseline.

in case i remove the save to project server permission from project manager group, then PMs are not able to edit and save their project even if they didn't save it locally.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:39 AM
  • My mistake: I was refering to "new project" permission and not "save project". Removing the "new project" permission, the PM will be able to edti and save existing projects, but not to save a new project, overwriting an existing one and creating a brand new.

The consequence is that you obviously have to give this permission to another group, such as a PMO group.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by B.Wazneh Thursday, May 14, 2015 11:45 AM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 11:54 AM
  • Thank you for your replay, I will go with this option although this is not the optimal solution but I think it is the best possible one.

Thursday, May 14, 2015 11:46 AM