Why the "Audit log reports" link is missing inside the enterprise wiki site collection's settings, but we can access the audit reports manually RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on an Office 365 sharepoint online tenant, and we have 2 site collections as follow:-

1. Team site collection which have publishing features enabled at the site collection level and at the site level.

2. Enterprise wiki site collection, which have the publishing feature enabled at the site collection level only. while the publishing feature is disabled at the site level.

now on the team site collection under the site setting we have these 2 links;First link to configure the auditing reports + second link to access the audit reports:-

while on the enterprise wiki site collection, we only got the following link, where the "Audit log reports" is missing:-

so i thought that we can not access the auditing report inside the enterprise wiki site collection, but when i manually navigate to the following url https://sitecollectionURL/_layouts/15/Reporting.aspx?Category=Auditing , i was able to access the auditing reports, but not sure why the "Audit log reports" link is missing from the site settings? and is the appraoch i am following on manually navigating to the auditing reports correct?

• Edited by johnjohn11 Thursday, April 5, 2018 10:46 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 10:38 PM

All replies

• Hi johnjohn,

You can go to Site settings > Site Collection Features and activate the "Reporting" feature. Then you will find the "Audit log reports" link in the enterprise wiki site collection's settings.

This is by design. Some options will be hidden in SharePoint until the corresponding settings is enabled. However, these functions are still working. For example, some users will not see the "Save list as template" option in List Settings, but they can still access the "Save as Template" page to save this list as template by below URL. There is a corresponding setting about this option in SharePoint Designer and after user enable this setting, they will see the "Save list as template" option in List Settings.

http://tenantUrl/_layouts/15/savetmpl.aspx?List=%7B769C4F8C-7114-4478-B045-1B90C2082685%7D

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Lehus Thursday, August 22, 2019 12:55 AM
    Friday, April 6, 2018 9:11 AM
  • Hi johnjohn,

You can go to Site settings > Site Collection Features and activate the "Reporting" feature. Then you will find the "Audit log reports" link in the enterprise wiki site collection's settings.

This is by design. Some options will be hidden in SharePoint until the corresponding settings is enabled. However, these functions are still working. For example, some users will not see the "Save list as template" option in List Settings, but they can still access the "Save as Template" page to save this list as template by below URL. There is a corresponding setting about this option in SharePoint Designer and after user enable this setting, they will see the "Save list as template" option in List Settings.

http://tenantUrl/_layouts/15/savetmpl.aspx?List=%7B769C4F8C-7114-4478-B045-1B90C2082685%7D

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Ok i got your point. now at this stage i do not want to activate any new features such as the Reporting unless it is really needed. now since i can manually navigate to the Audit reports, i will keep doing so. as i am not sure what are the corresponding effects of activating the "Reporting" feature on the enterprise wiki site collection..
    Friday, April 6, 2018 10:32 AM
  • Hi johnjohn,

If you think my suggestion is helpful, you could mark it as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Best regards,

Allen Bai 

Monday, April 9, 2018 2:37 AM